Ridley

A shadow passed over me. I glanced up and saw what looked like a bird. Could it possibly be another life form? If so, I didn't want to stay here for much longer even if the creature was friendly. I walked back to the river,

  "Are you decent?"

  I heard a noise behind me. I whipped around and saw a grinning Nesta. Her hair was plaited and she held her boots in hand.

    "Come on. Let's go back to the ship."

      "Alright."

    She dutifully followed behind me back to the shuttle. She climbed in first and I followed suite. I started the engine and the ship ascended. It was a short ride back to the ship. The shuttle docked and the doors opened. I climbed out, walking back up to the main deck. I headed to the cryo bay where the Frylers were held. I started the defrosting.

     "We've found a new home. I'll give you a day to adjust." I told them.

    I then went to the cafeteria, where I leant my head against a machine which gave you the food you were thinking about. The food looked delicious but it was deceptive. Everything tasted like cardboard. I think it had been broken for a while. Nesta soon joined me,

   "Just rest your head against the wall over there."

   "Ok..." She gave me a questioning look but did it anyway.

   A couple of seconds later, she carried a steaming bowl over to the table where I was sitting.

   "What's that?"

   "Lamb stew."

    She took a bite and screwed up her face. I laughed at her.

   "I forgot to mention that it tastes odd."

      She shrugged and countinued eating.

   "I've had worse."

     I finished eating and dumped the rest in the trash container. I left her and went back to the control room room. I brought up the planet on screen. Apparently I had been right, there were aliens on the surface. The computer didn't say what they were it only mention that they had a taste for human flesh. I felt a grave concern for Nesta. I sincerely did not want to see her hurt. I closed the page and stepped back. I felt very tired, I had gotten little sleep last night. I stumbled into a chair and rested my head against a wall. My eyes slid shut, I fell into a deep sleep.

   I awoke sometime later to footsteps. I rubbed my eyes and stared into the faces of six Frylers.

   "Good evening sir." The chieftain spoke.

    "Good evening." I repeated.

    They smiled at me. I stood up, I watched one of them flick their reptilian tail. Then I spoke again,

   "The ship has found your people a suitable habitat. It decided the night before actually. I hope it is to you liking."

   I pulled up the planet and they studied it intently. They all nodded and thanked me.

       "Sir. You look dead on your feet. Why don't you rest. We are quite capable here."

   I had to agree with them. I walked along to my cabin. I peeled off my clothes and boots. For modesty sake in case Nesta walked in, I wore a pair of boxers. I slid under the covers and was instantly asleep. Around midnight, I heard a voice,

   "Lights on." I said, groggily.

    After I removed my head from underneath the pillow, the lights flickered on, showing the wan face of Nesta.

     "What is it?" I asked, running a hand down my face.

    She was wearing an oversized shirt again and she looked like she was going to cry.

      "I had a nightmare and when I woke up, I realized I wasn't home." Her lip quivered.

        "Oh."

    "So..." She was anxiously twisting her hair.

        "Yeah?"

"Could I stay here for the night?" She was shifting back and forth.

   I  nodded, tired out of my mind. She came round to the other side of the bed and curled under the covers.

   "Lights off."

   I fell back to sleep. My dreams were a blank haze as they passed through my mind.