Chapter XV - Ballroom Dancing & Loaded Rifles

It was the day before Master Jasper's birthday celebration, and Oliver wanted to touch up on his dancing skills. Not that he had any talent when it came to dancing to begin with, but since his mother was coming for the celebration along with his father, he'd wanted to be able to ask her to dance, and if he ended up stepping all over her feet the entire evening, he was sure of how embarrassing it would be. He was in the Lancechester ballroom with Juliette, but they weren't alone. After asking Jasper if it was alright, the Master sent for a pianist and violinist that'd be in the orchestra for tomorrow. The middle aged black-haired man who played piano was sitting across the room on the large stage, his fingers moving musingly about the keys, a beautiful tune of soft melody flowing throughout the room. Beside him stood a brunette woman in a black gown, a violin held below her chin as she moved the bow across the strings, a delicate piercing hum joining the piano.

With no idea as to what he was doing, Oliver held a hand at Juliette's waist as the other was placed atop her shoulder. The position felt rather awkward to him, Juliette not having much of a knack for dancing either. But, with Darcy and Jasper out for the morning, they would have to deal with each other's stumbling.

Quinn was seated on the edge of the stage nearest to the pianist, grinning in absolute amusement at the pair. He hadn't wanted to get out of bed this morning, still pondering over the realization of Jasper's woe, but he couldn't sit alone with his thoughts. The last thing he could bear was to drown in them, wallowing at the treacherous possibilities running about his mind. All he could do to silence them, for even a moment was to remain in Oliver's presence. And, surprisingly, watching the blonde boy do a terrible job at dancing put him at ease.

For a time, Juliette and Oliver moved about the room, anything but gracefully keeping up with the light rhythmic tune. Attempting to lead, Oliver turned Juliette in one direction while she almost went in another. In doing so, he accidently stepped on her toes, and it would have hurt if they'd been wearing shoes. Given Oliver was sure they'd be stepping all over each other, he decided it was best if they didn't. Instead, socks were the only garments on their feet, making it a tad easier to glide about the waxed wooden floor.

Focusing hard on where his feet were moving, what steps he would take next, and trying not to clobber Juliette's feet, Oliver's attention was snagged when he heard Quinn's voice. "You two," the dark-haired boy said, "are absolute rubbish at this."

Oliver stumbled then, and glared back at Quinn across the extensive room, "Quiet," he said, "I would like to see you attempt to dance."

"I am doing fine sitting here, thank you," Quinn snickered. "I'm only worried you will make a complete arse of yourself tomorrow. Surely, you can't learn to dance properly in one day. I will be sure to say a prayer for each of your mother's toes."

Blocking out Quinn's voice, Oliver brought his mind back to the music. One, two, three. One, two, three. One, two, three turn. After a few turns, he felt he was getting the hang of things, and they began to move a bit faster, and when he turned Juliette, he lost grip of her hand and she went off without him. "Oops," he laughed, "Sorry, my lady."

"Rubbish," Quinn echoed from his seat on the stage.

Oliver glared his way, "Come, then, Quincy. Show me of the much better performance you could put on."

"Alright, then," Quinn hopped down from the stage and neared the two, offering a hand to Juliette. The brunette woman smiled and took it.

Oliver stepped aside and folded his thin arms, a disapproving curve on his lips as he watched. Quinn interlocked his and Juliette's fingers, resting a hand at her lower back before listening to the sway of the music. When he felt the harmony, he began to move, taking Juliette in a circle around the ballroom. Oliver would have considered the boy was doing a much better job than him...if Juliette didn't look like she was afraid. They were moving too fast for the music, and all Juliette was trying to do was make sure Quinn didn't step on her toes. Given he was still wearing shoes, she stood a bit too far from him, making their posture look rough.