Chapter 15

"I love you, Kurt, but I have to go. I hope you'll forgive me one day." Lucy scrawled the note on the pad from the mahogany desk and left it on her pillow.

She couldn't stay here. The pain was too much. Reminders of what she'd lost were everywhere. Georgia: where she'd grown up, where she'd suffered, where her sister was taken from her.

Twice.

Sneaking away like this, while Kurt was pleading his case to Thames, was cowardly. She'd never been cowardly, but she knew facing him would weaken her resolve and make her stay.

Two days had passed since she'd learned of Dawn's death. In that time, she hadn't left their room, had done nothing but mope around watching television and feeling useless. If she was going to pick herself up, it might as well be in San Francisco where she served some purpose. Waiting for the results from the forensics team could be done just as well there as here.

She didn't know if she would ever be able to completely 'move on' with her life, but at least she could step out of the way and let Kurt get on with his.

As she passed Kurt's bed on the way out the door she paused to study it, her chest heavy with emotion as she recalled what they'd shared there. That night would be ingrained in her for the rest of her life. She tore her gaze away, grabbing her purse and the small canvas bag holding her personal items before walking out the door.

When Lucy pushed through the doors of the hotel lobby into the Atlanta sunshine, she had to squint against the sudden brightness. The landscape was colorful and blooming, she hoped it was a sign she was doing the right thing.

She used her cell to call a cab and waited for it in the parking lot out front, closing her eyes and tilting her face to the sun. It warmed her skin and made her feel almost human again.

A hand grabbed her suit jacket as cold metal pressed against her back.

"I have a 22 aimed at your heart. Come quietly with me if you want to know where your sister is." A woman's voice was hot against her ear. It sounded familiar but she couldn't place it.

"My sister is dead." Her heart slammed in her chest but Lucy kept her voice calm.

"That's what I made you think."

"Give me a reason to think otherwise."

The woman jammed the pistol hard against her back, spurring Lucy forward. "Is this enough reason for you? Let's go."

Lucy raised no protest as the woman led her to a blue BMW on the other side of the lot. "Nice car."

"Thanks, it's a company car. You're driving." The woman held the keys out with her left hand while keeping the gun under Lucy's suit jacket with her right.

It was difficult not to show fear while her blood thrashed through her veins and her chest heaved. As an agent, she knew the danger of letting an attacker take her to a second location. Knew it was probable she would be murdered once she was there. If she ran right now, she might get away. If she pulled her gun, she might be able to take this woman down.

Then again, she might fail.

And she'd never find out if Dawn was still alive.

Lucy took the keys, opened the car door, and slipped behind the wheel.

The woman quickly followed her, sitting in the spot behind her and pressing the gun's muzzle against her neck. "Lift your arms."

Lucy did as she asked, straining to see the woman's reflection in the rear view mirror.