Be Quiet, He Can Hear: Prologue (Edited)

A/n: hey guys! So as you can tell I've started editing this story. Now it's gonna end up being longer than it was when I done because I'm gonna do it right this time so keep an eye out for the edited and new chapters. Let me know what you think and check out my Harry Potted Fan Fic, The Forgotten Riddle: Darkness Descending.

-CourtneyNicole

*this story contains themes which may be inappropriate for some readers. (I.e. language and violence) readers discretion is advised*

----

All the townhouses and apartments in Hoboken, New Jersey looked the same: relatively large, made out of red or brown brick with flower boxes in the windows and a gray stoop. At least, on the outside they were the same. Most of the families that lived on the block were friendly, some kept to themselves more than others but, for the most part, they were nice. One family, in particular, was almost overly friendly.

The Monroe family was very well known in Hoboken. Derek Monroe was the patriarch, a contractor who worked 5 days a week and Carrie, his wife, was a social butterfly and a dedicated mother. She was at every PTA meeting and back to school night as well as class mom. They had two boys; John, the oldest, and Nicholas, the baby of the family. John was a bookworm, very intelligent and preferring to read while Nicky was an athlete. He loved anything to do with sports and was the apple of his father's eye. John was more of a mama's boy. They seemed like a typical, all American family. However, like any family, they had their problems, and their secrets.

Carrie had learned, years ago, that Derek was not what he appeared. He was far from the charming man she had thought she had known and fallen in love with in college. He was an angry, violent, man that had complete control over his wife. He beat her senseless if she disobeyed him, but to him that was okay. Wives were meant to be disciplined harshly, to be seen, not heard. Carrie had been on many trips to the hospital and suffered a multitude of injuries: a broken arm/leg/nose/ribs, a concussion, lacerations, and multiple contusions throughout her 15 year marriage. Carrie wanted to leave Derek, desperately, but she wouldn't leave her boys with him, so Carrie tried to find a distraction. And she did. In the form of her 7 year old son's teacher.

Carrie knew, deep down, that if Derek ever found out he would kill her. Secretly she hoped he would so she wouldn't have to live with the pain of her marriage. She loved her husband, yes, but she couldn't handle the abuse anymore.

While his wife was having her affair, Derek was teaching Nicholas everything his own father had taught him about women. That you should always be in controls of them, that they were on earth to serve men. Derek didn't bother teaching John anything. The child was too soft, too much of a weakling to be able to handle the knowledge Derek had bestowed on his youngest son.

Eventually, Derek found out about his wife's affair. She had broken one of his most sacred rules: Never look at another man, let alone touch one. And he was livid.

"Nicholas, why don't you and John go out side and play for a bit, huh? I have to talk to mom for a bit." Derek said nudging Nicky towards the front door, handing him his coat. "Stay on the stoop and play cards or something." Carrie gulped, frozen at the kitchen sink, the hot water splashing over her hands as it over flowed in the coffee mug she had been washing. How did he know?

"But dad I don't want to go outside. I want to finish my book!" John whined, looking up from The Hobbit. Derek whipped his head around to glare at John, his blue eyes narrowing.

"Sweetheart, do as your father says. Go outside with your brother. I'll read the ending aloud to you tonight before bed," Carrie said hurriedly, watching her husbands reflection in the mirror. The telltale vein in his temple was throbbing.