Swing, Swing

Song by All American Rejects

Days swiftly come and go, I'm dreaming of her.

Arthur stared at the ceiling, numb. He couldn't stop thinking about Alfred. He's been wanting to be back together for months, but he could never think of what to say. He picked up his phone and stared at his number. " I can't do it." Arthur sighed. "Why can't I do it!?" He dropped his phone and let his frustration take over him. He fell back on his bed and imagined being with his love again.

She's seeing other guys. Emotions are stirred. The sun is gone. The nights are long. And I am left while the tears fall.

At work, Arthur opened his car door to see someone none other than Alfred. If there was any chance of getting him back, this was it. "Alfred! How are you?" Arthur was worried he approached too quickly. "I'm good, thanks. You seem...energetic?" He smiled, obviously uncomfortable. "Well that's because--" Arthur's sentence was cut short by a tall blond man, who had wrapped his arm around Alfred. "Alfie, who's your friend?" The blond asked. "Oh, Ivan, this is Arthur. He's a old friend of mine. Arthur, this is my boyfriend, Ivan." Alfred leaned into Ivan. "Nice meeting you, I'll be on my way." Arthur tried to hide his embarassment and pain and made his way back to the car. He quickly made his way home, wanting to fall into bed and cry. When he finally did, he didn't sleep that night. He just sobbed until he was numb, thought of Alfred, and then started crying again. "You're such a coward." Arthur said to himself. "You're twenty five years old, and you can't even tell someone you still have feelings for them." He threw his pillow at the wall then stared at the ceiling.

Do you think that I would cry on the phone? Do you know what it feels like, being alone? I'll find someone new.

Suddenly, his phone lit up. Arthur eagerly grabbed it, and picked it up. "Hello, Kirkland residence, party of one." He tried to sound charming, failing miserably. He almost hung up right there. "Hey Artie, you were going to say why you were excited, and then Ivan showed up. What's going on, man? Are you getting married?" Alfred asked. "No, no. I can't even remember now." Arthur lied, ashamed of himself. "So how's--" "Hang up with your little friend and come back to bed, my flower." Ivan's voice was muffled, but still audible. "I'll call you back--Ivan!" Then the line cut out. "See? He's happy. You're going to move on. You're going to be happy." Arthur promised himself.

Swing, swing. From the tangles of my heart, it's crushed by a former love. Can you help me to find a way to carry on again?

Arthur filed through his contacts, looking for someone who has gone through a lot of break ups. "Gilbert? No, he'd just set me up with a some bimbo." Arthur mumbled to himself. "Francis!" He called the number and waited for him to pick up. "Bonjour, monsieur Bonnefoy speaking." Francis answered in his thick accent. "Hello, Francis. I'm trying to get over this guy, he meant a lot to me and I just found out he's seeing someone else--" "I'll be right over." That was not a lie. Five minutes later, Francis stood in his doorway, shirt undone. "So, where do you want to..." Francis peeled off his shirt as he scanned the room. "This is not what I meant, Francis." Arthur stated firmly, arms crossed. "Alright, what did you need?" Francis picked up his shirt. Arthur thought for a moment. This may be what he needed. "On second thought, darling, don't put it back on." Arthur smiled, approaching Francis. Francis raised an eyebrow and smirked, then pinned Arthur to the wall. They spent the entire night with each other, and when Arthur woke, Francis hadn't moved an inch. Arthur looked over his new lover. Soon, Arthur was facinated. He found himself smiling when the corners of Francis' mouth would twitch or when his eyelids would flutter. Arthur began to wonder if he wanted Francis as more than just a lover.

Wish cast into the sky. I'm moving on. Sweet beginnings do arise, she knows I was wrong. The notes are old, they bend, they fold. And so do I to a new love.

Arthur couldn't believe it, but he was falling for Francis. One night, Arthur was happily nuzzled in his lover's arms and Francis leaned down and whispered "Je t'aime. If I could pick any place stay forever, it would be here with my darling little poupée in my arms." Arthur treasured those words.

Arthur did come to a minor inconvinence. Francis was away one night when Arthur got a phone call from Alfred. "Artie, did I ever tell you I missed you?" He whispered into the phone. "No, but--" "Ivan isn't home. You wanna come over and I'll show you why I missed you?" Alfred sounded drunk. "No." Arthur said bluntly. "Baby, I made a mistake. I want you back in my life. Sure, you were boring but I miss boring." He slurred. "Alfred, I don't want anything to do with you." Arthur told him sternly. "Is it because of the new guy because I swear I will hunt him down and--" Arthur hung up the phone without a second thought. After the incident, Francis texted him a picture of him with his face covered in tape. "Are you proud, mon cheri?" Arthur smiled at the screen and knew he couldn't be more happy with "the new guy."

Did you think that I would cry on the phone? Do you know what it feels like being alone? I'll find someone new.

Arthur sat in silence for most of the day. As he was making dinner for the two of them, the phone rang. "Arthur. I love you. You're everything to me. No matter what happens please remember that." Francis spoke  frantically into the phone. "What? Why are you telling me this? Francis!" There was silence, then a loud bang, then nothing. Arthur was notified an hour later that his boyfriend had been fatally shot. Not long after the police left they had found that the shooter was Arthur's drunken ex lover. Arthur blamed himself. He should have protected Francis. He should have said something. He should have told the police.

Bury me, away, away. Carry me, away, away.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."