Chapter 4: Voices

I absolutely loved Hogwarts. It was a way to get away from my mum, who was by the month, getting stranger. She talked about father much more now, and always was talking to herself. She held meetings and Draco came over much more often now. He seemed to like to push everyone away, but I had managed to slip in, and I think he enjoyed the company. His parents were still very strict, and I could sense a change in his father too.
         I felt a lot more comfortable at Hogwarts during my second year, it really felt like a home away from home. I was at the head of all my Slytherin classes, often competing with Hermione Granger. Draco held a lot of hatred towards Harry Potter even more now, to the point where it was becoming worrying. Speaking of Potter, my mother had wanted me to spy on both him and Dumbledore, which I couldn't bring myself to do. I did keep an eye out when I could, just so when my mum did send something to the owlery, I had something to say. She said it was for good, but I hardly believed that.

          We were in Potions class. I really did like Professor Snape. He held this wall of rudeness up, but I knew he was kind. I had heard rumours he was a Death Eater, but just about every adult I knew was too, so it didn't bother me much. Hermione was, of course, doing everything right. I got more credit than she did, but that made her work harder, and I think that's what made her such a superb student. Draco always complained that she was Muggle Born, but I had no problem with it. Professor McGonagall liked the Gryffindors more, but she appreciated my hard work, and that was all that mattered to me. I did fairly well in her class, and I think she was starting to notice.
          Now there are friends to worry about. I didn't like Crabbe and Goyle in the least, plus I thought that brought a bad influence on Draco, and vice versa. None of the other houses seemed to like me because I was in Slytherin, which I thought entirely unfair. The other girls in Slytherin didn't like me either, which narrowed my friend group to Draco. My mother constantly asked about school, sending sweets and sometimes little gifts. They always remind me of when Draco and Harry fought over Neville's little gift from his Grandmother. It seemed so long ago I don't remember the details.
          I was making a pretty basic potion, I had done it a million times. "It's time to clean up. Longbottom, get someone to help you with that miserable mess," all the Slytherins laughed. Harry, of course, had to help him. I really disliked him, he was always very self-important. Potter always wanted to be the centre of attention, and always got his way. Then I realized we had Defence Against the Dark Arts class. It was our first one this year. Maybe Potter wouldn't be the 'star' this time, but I doubted it. I cleaned up my supplies and put them in my cauldron which had its own spot in the classroom. Professor Snape was an incredible organizer, which I greatly appreciated. I was a bit of a clean freak myself.
          I walked down the hallway to our classroom with Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle. They were complaining about how Professor Snape didn't get the job of teaching this class. I heard it was supposed to be a really famous person. We walked into the quiet classroom and sat down in our regular seats. Ron Weasley was in front of me. He was ever so slightly taller than me, so I couldn't see. That bugged me quite a bit. I had asked Draco if he wanted to switch because he was taller, but he replied, "I'm not looking at his dirty hair every day! I don't know how you do it, but I'm not doing it instead!" I'm not sure what he had against him, as Ron had done nothing so far, but apparently, their parents hold a grudge against each other.
          The room buzzed in anticipation, everyone speaking in hushed voices. My eyes were trained on the little door to his office. Maybe he forgot? Then, out of nowhere he strolled through the doorway and made his way down the ancient stairs. He was wearing an awful colour of baby blue robes, with a sort of cape attached to his shoulder. His corny smile told us everything.
          "Let me introduce you to your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Gildroy Lockheart, Order of Merlin—third class, honorary member of the dark arts defence team, and winner of Witch Weekly's Charming Smile Award. But I won't talk about that, I didn't get rid of the Ban of Banshees by smiling at them," he chuckled, but no one else laughed. "Now! Be warned!" He moved closer to what looked like a cage under a cloth. "My job is to arm you against the foulest creatures known to mankind," the cage rattled. I don't know if it was what was there, or him moving it. Draco almost seemed asleep beside me. "You may find yourself facing your worst fears in this room. Know only, that no harm will befall on you whilst I am here. I must ask you not to scream, it might PROVOKE THEM!" he uncovered the cage to reveal the most pathetic excuse for a 'worst fear'. They were Cornish Pixies. One kid pointed this out.
          "Freshly caught Cornish Pixies! Laugh all you want Mister Finnigan! I'll have you know they are nasty little blighters. Let's see how you deal with them!" He unleashed the pixies and we all jumped and cowered. They stole, pilfered, tore and ruined everything they could get their hands on—including students. While Neville was hung by the ceiling, our professor now lamely made up spells to get them to stop. Harry, of course, was batting them away and trying to get rid of them as well, I left the horrid scene with Draco, leaving Crabbe and Goyle.
          "That was bloody awful!"
          "Draco!"
          "You know I'm right. He's a pathetic excuse for a teacher! My father will hear about this!"
          "Yeah, he needs to go," said Crabbe. They really had no minds for themselves, except when food was involved.
          "Anyway, guess what?" we all asked 'what?'
          "My Father got me onto the Slytherin Quidditch team, and we're practicing tomorrow."
          "That's amazing Draco! We'll come and watch for sure."
          The game was pretty average, as most had been a little bit late due to a little quarrel with the Gryffindors. Ron had a broken wand, which caused him to send a spell backfiring to himself. He had vomiting up slugs all over the grass, and likely still was somewhere. When we headed back, I experienced something quite odd. There were whispering voices coming from the walls. It seemed to be saying ' kill', but I had trouble making it out. I assumed it was someone we were walking back with, but the assumption seemed less likely the farther we went along. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up the entire walk back, and I had the feeling I was being watched.
          As expected, I couldn't sleep. I didn't particularly like being around the other Slytherins, they were always gossiping. I always went to bed early and read books, studied, or did homework. More than anything, I loved to explore the castle. The staircases made it nearly impossible to visit the same place twice. I wandered through the halls, keeping my eyes and ears open. Peeves wouldn't be very good luck right now, or really any professor. Then the voices came back again. It started with a crack. I followed them this time. It got faster and faster until it stopped. I turned the corner, and there it was. Moaning Myrtle must have flooded the hall, and there was blood everywhere.
          On the wall read, 'The Chamber of Secrets has been opened. Enemies of the heir...beware!' in fresh, scarlet blood.
          My legs almost crumpled beneath me. My mother had told me stories about the Chamber of Secrets. She said my father had been the heir many years ago. I froze as the headmaster came around the corner. His face never changed.
          "Do you know who it was?" He said in a calm voice.
          "N-no. I haven't a clue," I didn't meet his gaze. "Who was it? That was killed?"
          "Mrs. Norris, Mr. Filch's cat. She was merely petrified."
          "I wish I could help, this is truly awful," he came and put a hand on my shoulder.
          "Send a letter to your mother in the morning, it will not seem to be out of place."
          "You want me to spy?"
          "No, of course not. If it is indeed you, we will find a way to fix it. If not, we'll have to keep a keen eye out."
          "Thank you for not blaming me," I thought for a while. "Professor? I heard voices leading to this place. It sounded like someone beckoning me to come here. That's not normal, is it?"
          "It is entirely normal for you. Your father was a Parseltongue as well, meaning he could speak to snakes. They say the Chamber is home to a Basilisk, and which is a magical serpent. It would make sense. But I do hope the Chamber really hasn't been opened," his voice was sombre. "Anyhow, off to bed you. Your classmates will begin to worry," he smiled as I turned and walked back to our house common room. I crawled into my four-poster, even though I knew I wouldn't sleep.