Nearly a month

DPOV
Over the next twenty-four hours Rose had managed to get Jenée back in her good books. Though when Rose came to pick Jenée up from my shift babysitting Jenée, the look on Rose's face told me she hadn't sorted out the issue of Jenée's father. It was a weight on Rose's shoulders she didn't need, yet she was hesitant to lift the stress, it was as if she wanted it. It was almost as if she was taking it as her punishment... or something close to.

"How did classes go?"
"You need to stop stressing over me Dimitri. But if you must know, Lissa isn't talking to me other than by passing notes and Mia threatened Jenée after taking pleasure in Lissa still being the victim of gossip. Now, can I go?"
After studying her hard, soulful brown eyes I nodded once. I really didn't want to let them leave, but Rose was determined to keep me out and deal with things herself. Her determination to be self-reliant was both endearing and infuriating. When was she going to learn to accept help? Again.

Two Moroi nights later I finished Rose's training early because I was on duty for the All Saints' Day assembly and visit from the queen. I had successfully gotten permission for Rose to also attend, but Jenée had to be by my side not in her mother's arms. In my opinion that was totally unfair, but Kirova had argued Rose was less likely to draw unwanted attention to herself if she didn't have a baby in her arms or on her lap. Jenée was just as likely to distract me from my job, but I accepted anyway because Rose had earned a night off after the hours she'd put into training and catching-up on theory with me, and looking after Jenée and Lissa in the past month.

Once I was showered and dressed in my formal black-and-white guardian uniform I made my way to Rose's dorm to collect Jenée. Honestly, with the Rose and I traded-off looking after Jenée it was a wonder rumours hadn't started that I was filling in the role of Jenée's father. Then again, they were too pre-occupied with politics or Lissa being targeted.
When Rose opened the door my mouth nearly hung agape. It truly took all my control to stop my jaw from going slack. She was hardly in formalwear but that only added to the mouthwatering sight before me. In her dressy red sweater and appropriately dressy dark-blue skinny jeans I could see all her curves and just wanted to rip them off her. It wouldn't be the first time...

It also wouldn't be the first time I was caught out either. Rose smirked knowingly before turning away to collect her daughter. Jenée came bounding to the door. Rose had given her a bath judging by the two wet French braids. I couldn't help the smile that pulled up my lips when I noticed she was dressed in black leggings and a dress that was white with horizontal black stripes. Her little shoes were also a plain black and she sported a black jacket.
Rose laughed. "Behave, Jenée. And Comrade? Try to make sure my daughter there doesn't stand out. I didn't go to the effort of dressing her in black and white to attract the spotlight."
"I promise, Rose." I returned my attention to the toddler in my arms. "Where's Momma's kiss?"
Jenée leaned away from me and pecked Rose's cheek.
"Love you, baby girl."
"Love you, Momma." She really was far too sweet for her own good.

The assembly and reception for Queen Tatiana occurred in the remarkably well transformed commons. Per tradition and protocol the décor was colored with the Ivashkov's red. The tablecloths were red, the flowers were red, the monarch's family crest banners were red. To me, it was overkill and a significant waste of money. But the Moroi will be the Moroi and the royals and their policies will dictate.
Clinging to my hip was an awed Jenée. Her eyes bugged and her jaw dropped as she took in change with awe and curiosity clearly radiating from her eyes.
"Whoa," she breathed.
"I couldn't have but it better myself, Née-Née," commented Emil.
"Emil!" she giggled and squirmed in my hold.
Laughing, Emil took her from me. "You are too cute for your own good, Miss mini-Hathaway."
"Jen, settle down," instructed Petrov as she took her from Emil. "Emil, don't encourage her tonight. That goes for all of you. Miss Jenée Hathaway is to be hidden in the shadows until her mother can take her back to their dorm, relatively unnoticed. Understood?" The gathered guardians nodded. "Good. Now get to your posts."
Jenée reached her arms towards me in a demanding manner and with guilt-inducing puppy-eyes. I smiled at her and collected her as she silently asked. I didn't understand why, but it just felt right somehow to have Jenée on my hip. It felt as though she belonged there at this stage of her life. Like her mother, I too never wanted her to grow up.