Whoever You Want Me To Be

Whoever You Want Me To Be by The_Forgotten_Nobody
___________________________

Stiles hated Lydia. Actually, that wasn't quite true, he could never hate Lydia, but he was extremely unimpressed with her right now.

Stiles had been planning this meal for ages. He'd known Lydia was guaranteed to get a promotion soon and when she finally did, he had arranged to surprise her with reservations to her favourite fancy restaurant. However, when such event had finally occurred it turned out his best friend and once long-term crush had cancelled. Apparently she'd been offered an interview by a rival company offering more money and now was spending her time preparing and not joining Stiles on this elaborate, expensive dinner. Stiles couldn't really blame her, not really since she had no idea what they were doing nor how long he'd been saving up for it, but it really sucked to be eating alone. Especially with a second menu placed in front of an empty chair.

Not that he'd even ordered yet. Maybe he just looked so pathetic that the servers were just avoiding him in order to prevent catching his patheticness.

Stiles sighed as he took a sip of his water, glaring at the pitying stares some of the other customers gave him, in particular this one guy whispering to who was presumably his girlfriend (who was so out of his league it wasn't even funny and Stiles knew about that sort of thing).

Eventually, he couldn't take it any longer. "You know buddy, I can see you-"

"Thomas?"

"Uh, who what now?"

Stiles' head snapped around towards the guy who had suddenly appeared at his table and nearly had a heart attack. The man was absolutely gorgeous. Chiselled face with stunning green eyes and mouth forming the most adorably shy smile Stiles had ever seen. He was dressed in a casual shirt with the sleeves rolled up to reveal some delicious muscles along with some smart black pants and his smell...the cologne alone made Stiles want to jump him. Stiles had no idea who this Thomas was but if it kept Mr. Handsome here then he'd be whoever he wanted him to be.

"Thomas! Yes, that's me. Nice to meet you..."

"Derek. I guess Lily didn't even tell you my name, huh?"

Lily? It had been years since Stiles had attempted some improve acting but he guessed he could try and rustle up those dusty skills. "Oh yeah, Lily didn't tell me much at all, only that you were extremely good looking and she was right."

For a second, Stiles wondered if he should be doing this. What if Derek was here on some sort of business meeting and Stiles had misread the situation entirely? What if Stiles had just acted completely unprofessional for the person Stiles was supposed to be? What if Derek called the police on him for impersonation?

Stiles' mini internal meltdown was calmed when a light blush rose on Derek's cheeks and his smile grew. "Thanks, you look good too."

Stiles looked down at his old shirt he'd matched with a dusty blazer and pants that ended just above the ankle. "Um, thanks, I, uh, thanks."

"Can I sit down? Sorry I kept you waiting, traffic was horrible."

"No, no. Be my guest." A glance over to his side showed whisper guy was looking on in confusion while his girlfriend appeared slightly jealous. He barely just resisted the urge to stick his tongue out at them, so settled on smirking. See, he wasn't pathetic at all! And Stiles couldn't feel it within him to feel bad about this because he would have noticed if there was another guy looking as tragic as he did. Stiles was doing Derek a favour, he didn't have to know he'd been stood up!

It was almost like magic that at the moment Derek sat down a waitress appeared.

"Can I get you anything to drink?" She asked politely, as if she hadn't been ignoring Stiles for something close to half an hour.