three ♠︎ luke

"Alright, we should be heading back to our hotel," Calum said after ten minutes of awkward silence. I nodded and fiddled with the hem of my shirt.

"Are you alright with being alone?" Ashton asked and I shrugged, staring at the floor.

"I'm gonna have to be, aren't I?"

"If something happens, call me. If I don't answer, call Calum," Ashton said, handing me a piece of paper with two numbers written on it. I nodded and folded the paper, placing it on the kitchen counter.

"Thanks for looking out for me...and saving me..." I mumbled awkwardly and they both nodded.

"It's our job. Take care of yourself, Luke," Ashton said and I nodded.

"Will you tell me if anything happens?" I asked and Ashton looked at me, debating on his answer.

"Sure."

I waved bye and they left, leaving me alone in a house that wasn't mine. I sighed to myself as I heard the squeal of tires as the car pulled away.

///

The next morning, I disguised myself as a thirty year old man with salt and pepper hair and dull brown eyes, before sitting in a cafe where Ashton and Calum were eating. I eavesdropped on their conversation.

"Something's not right with that Luke kid," Calum muttered.

"What do you mean?" Ashton asked, taking a bite of a burger. Even eating, he looked attractive.

"He doesn't seem...not normal to you?"

"No?" Ashton inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Maybe it's just me, then."

I took a bite of strawberry syrup drenched pancakes to seem more casual. I have a major sweeth tooth, all tricksters do.

"What did you see in that house?" Calum asked quietly. Ashton's face fell as he stared down at the table, tracing the pattern with his finger.

"A little boy. He reminded me of Harry," he whispered and I felt an invisible fist squeeze my heart. I caused that pain.

Someone sat next to me, familiar blue eyes meeting mine. I turned away, staring at my plate.

  "Hello, Luke," they said and I clenched my fork tightly. "How's the hunt on the hunters going along?" he asked and laughed at his own pun, clasping a hand over my shoulder.

  "I can't..." I whispered and his blue eyes lost their playful tint.

  "Excuse me?"

  "I can't do it. I can't kill them," I murmured, prodding my fork into the pancakes, feeling my eyes burn.

  "You accepted this mission, Luke," he said and I turned away from him, trying to ignore his disdainful stare.

  "I-I'm sorry," I stuttered and he stood up. I looked up at him and he glared at me, his eyes angry.

  "You're no son of mine," he snarled and walked away. I felt an ache in my chest and knew my image was flickering, so I steadied my heartbeat and looked around, grateful that no one saw. I sighed and threw a ten onto the table, before leaving immediately. I walked behind an alley and changed back to my original form, leaning against the wall and sliding down.

  I was the god of trickery's son and I couldn't even trick someone without breaking down. Why was it so hard?

  In the back of my head, I knew I was because I had grown attached to Ashton, but I tried to ignore it as best as I could. He's mortal. He's a hunter. You're immortal. You're a trickster. He hunts your kind.

  I didn't realize I was crying until a tear fell onto my hand. Was my father's opinion really that important to me? So important that I had to cry when he was disappointed in me?

  "Luke?" a familiar voice asked and I looked over to see Ashton and Calum. Of course. Of fucking course. Thanks, Fates, I officially hate you. "Are you alright?" He walked over to me, helping me up. I shook my head and he coaxed me to tell him what was wrong.

   "I-I've just been really shaken up," I lied and he nodded, wiping away my tears.

  "We think we know what it is," Calum said, I guess hoping it would calm me down. "It's a trickster."

  Panic surged through me, my heart beating incredibly fast.

  "Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost." Ashton asked, placing a hand on my bicep.

  "W-What's a trickster?" I stuttered, hoping I was playing dumb good enough.

  "Demigods, kind of. They're children of tricky spirits and gods, like Loki in Norse mythology, or Hermes from Greek mythology. They like pulling deadly pranks, and tend to have a real sweet tooth," Ashton explained and I nodded, gulping. Was it that obvious?

  "H-How do you know it's a t-trickster?" I asked, my hands shaking as Ashton gave me a weird look.

  "Lots of candy wrappers at the crime scenes. At the morgue, none of the victims had any trace of eating candy, so that means the trickster was right there," Calum said and I nodded, fiddling with the hem of my sweater that practically swallowed me whole.

  "Do you know who it is?" I asked and Ashton pulled out a folded piece of paper.

  "We have a list of all of the people sent there, we've been eliminating possibilities all night," he said.

  "Well, um...I could help, you know? Since I'm from around the area," I mumbled, looking down, peeking up at Ashton through my lashes.

  "You could get hurt, no," he declined instantly and I tried my best to look as upset as I could.

  "O-Okay. I-I should be heading home," I murmured, my voice cracking as I hurriedly exited the alleyway. Calum grabbed my wrist, turning me around.

  "Wait," he said. Ashton gave him a hard look, but Calum ignored him easily. "You'd be a lot of help right now. We're stuck."

  "No we're not-"

  "We are, Ashton. I'll teach him how to use a gun so he's not totally clueless. I'll make sure he doesn't get into any trouble," he offered. Ashton didn't look convinced and Calum sighed. "Luke knows people from around here, he can really be helpful."

  "On one condition," Ashton said. "He doesn't go to any of the crime scenes, and is no where that he would have the slightest possibility of being in danger."

  "Okay. Is that alright with you?" Calum asked and I nodded, looking down at my black Vans. "Do you want to come to our hotel to help?"

  I smiled slightly and nodded, eager to help. Wait...I would be helping them to find me. Shit. Ugh, this is never going to work out.