Four: Love is confusing.

The whole ride home consisted of an awkward silence, and a few taps of my fingers on the window. When we arrived at the house mom immediately went to her room, taking the phone with her. I was extremely curious of what was such a secret and why she got so flustered when mentioning the family but I knew it would be a mistake to annoy her about it. So instead, I decided to be a discreet spy and listen in to who she was on the phone with.

I listened through the door and heard her muffled speech. All I could make out was "Don't try to act innocent," "she doesn't know anything and I would prefer to keep it that way, you've made enough mistakes in you're life don't make another one by messing with my daughter."

I was shocked to hear my mother speak like this, she never had such a tone with anyone, other than me when I made her angry.I ran to the kitchen when I heard her hang up and picked up the other house phone. I clicked redial and a number showed up with no caller ID. I clicked "talk" and dialled the number. The phone rang a few times then a woman's voice answered.

"Oh Sahara, stop calling here, you are really a nuisance." I heard her say, she was reffering to my mother! 

"Who is this?" I questioned.

"I believe you called me, little girl." The voice replied.

I wondered who could possibly be on the other line. I heard footsteps coming from my mother's room and was hanging up when I heard through the other line a voice in the background.

"Grace, who is that?" A deep, raspy voice asked the woman, reffering to me on the phone.

"Oh no one, just some prankster." The woman, named Grace, replied and then hung up. I hung up as well and put the phone on the hook right before my mother walked into the kitchen. I began to walk past her up the staircase but she stopped me.

"Clara, I have always tried my best for you, you know." She said, turning to face me. Where was this coming from?

"Yes mom, I know, but why would you say that?" I said looking confused.

"Well, I have always tried my best for you, so please do the same for me, try your best to stay away from the Bellisario family, please believe me it's best if you do." She said, she looked almost... scared? She looked sad and very serious. I was really tempted to ask why I must stay away but from the looks of it she wouldn't tell me, it'd probably just upset her more. So I simply nodded my head.

"Sure mom, i'll do my best." With that I walked upstairs and went on my laptop immediately. I googled the last name Bellisario. Pictures of the house showed up, along with pictures of the same family from earlier. I clicked on a link that read "Bellisario's and Antonucci's together again."

Scrolling through I spotted a name. Grace. I read the paragraph anxiously.

"The Bellisario family and the Antonucci family is finally back together again, this time not in Italy, but America! Grace Bellisario says that the family came over to partner in the business with them, and also because they are such close family friends. She says that their children practically knew each other from birth."

It was evident now that Grace was none other than the wife in the family. Why would my mother call her? What is it Grace would want to tell me? My mind was scrambling with questions and nothing seemed to make sense. I had to talk to someone, so I called Maddy.

Maddy was one of those more popular girls around the school, everyone knew her and liked her, the good kind of popular not the bitch-like popular. I have been friends with her since fifth grade when she first moved here. She walked in and everyone stared at the pale, freckled redhead. She was absolutely adorable and she grew to be so cute that no one suspects the rebellious things she does. Her personality is outgoing, fun and hilarious. All in all, she's amazing and I can talk to her about anything and she would never tell any of my secrets to anyone or hurt my feelings. That's best friend material if I do say so myself.