Chapter 7: Hide and Seek

Warning: ...............................................um................................................*blush*

Eight phone calls later, I slam the phone on the coffee table. "Damn you!" I yell to no one. "I've only heard you curse once before," a voice says from behind me.

I turn around in the sofa and see Sherlock standing there.

"It's become a habit for the past year," I spit.

A flash of guilt appears on his face, but it's gone as fast as it appeared. Guess he couldn't stop thinking about last night either.

"Where the hell have you been?! Why didn't you answer your damn phone?!" I shout. He rolls his eyes at me.

"I took a walk," he says while taking off his coat and putting it on the rack. I sigh and run a hand through my hair. I look at him and see him staring at me.

"What?" I ask, irritated.

"Nothing," he says while moving his eyes to look at my face.

We stared at each other for a moment. "You changed your hair," he points out. I scoff. "No shit, Captain Obvious," I snarl.

I plop back down on the couch and close my eyes while putting my hand over my eyes.

I feel the sofa shift which means Sherlock is sitting beside me.

I take a deep breath and take my hand off my face and I open my eyes and look at him.

"What do you mean I changed my hair? Do you not like it or something?" I sigh.

"It's just different," he says.

"Good different or bad different?"

"Good different."

"Really?"

He nods. "When you had your blonde hair, you looked too much like your sister. This... it shows you. And... I like you."

I almost choke on the air.

"What?" I say.

He looks at me in confusion and then catches his mistake.

"I meant-"

"Yeah, I thought-"

"-Right."

I nodded and looked away from him.

We sat in an awkward silence. One of us occasionally shifting. This just brought back the memory of the night before I left.

... I wonder if he remembers...

"Sherlock?" I ask.

"Hm?" he says while looking up from his phone, to me.

"D-Do you... Do you remember the night before I left? Uh, Christmas Eve, 2005?" I manage.

I look over at him and see him staring intently at me. I could practically feel his eyes burn holes through my head. And then...

He shakes his head.

"No, not really. I remember coming into your flat and you not being there but that's about it," he says.

Hallelujah! I almost jump up and start dancing around the room.

"Yeah, you were drunk," I breathe. I can remember that night like the back of my hand, and I wish that I could forget it.

"What happened?"

I suck in a breath.

"You were drunk when I came home and you were upset because I didn't tell you I was leaving. So, uh, we got into a fight and you left," I say. Okay, that wasn't the whole truth. Maybe someday I will tell him...