29| Right Under Your Nose

"I'm not going anywhere with you," I said with a roll of my eyes. I regretted even trying to talk to her. She was a waste of my time and tolerance. She stepped in front of me, blocking my path.

"It's close by," she went on to say. "Just out toward the creek. It's really not that long of a walk."

"And why would I go?"

A deadpan expression graced her heart shaped face. "Because your boyfriends there. And unless you follow me to that exact location, I'm going to have to signal my friends who have him held up there to do whatever they want with him. He's already badly beaten as it is."

Blood drained from my face at her choice of words. "Don't you dare touch Clyde."

Clyde? I meant Brandon. Brandon was my boyfriend....or at least he was the last time I was aware.

She cocked her head to the side. Pulling out her phone, she flipped to a photo and turned the screen to me. "This isn't Clyde."

I cried out in shock, covering my mouth with my hand at the bruised man on her phone. Crimson rivers of blood dripped down his chin and stained his shirt. The face was too swollen to tell who it really even was. That email he had sent me was not that long ago, how could they have possibly gotten a hold of him all the way from Ireland and to Oregon?

"Now." Amy clicked off the screen and shoved it into her pocket, beaming a sinister grin at me. "Where were we? Oh, right. You're going to the creek with me."

She grabbed for my arm, but I jumped back. "Nabella, don't be stupid. Play nice and I'll even let you talk your boyfriend."

"You don't have him at all, do you?" I realized. "He's not with you. If he is, then call your friends and let me talk to him."

She laughed dryly. "I'm the one who can make deals around here. I have the upper hand." She reached out to touch me, causing my ring to hum loudly. Dodging her grab, I lifted my arm and punched it into the exact location she had scratched me on my face at that hockey match this summer. The stones were awaken, burning into her skin. Smoke rises off the flesh as I pressed the ring in. A sharp wail left as she fell onto the grassy floor. Her phone fell out of her pocket. I dropped down and got it off the ground, stuffing it into my jacket. Not wasting any time for her to get back onto her feet, I disconnected the stone from her cheek--it had been fused into the flesh, imprinting itself deeply. It would definitely scar.

My hands shook as I got to my car and tried to put the right key in. The strange thing was that I quite enjoyed the rush of hurting her. Sliding in to the car at last, I buckled up, roared the car to life, and got myself the hell out of there. Sharp breaths ripped through me. I wasn't sure what had come over me to do what I did. Before, I'd never hurt anyone, and now I had nearly burned the skin right off of Amy.

I needed to call Clyde once I got home. If Brandon is in danger, he's the one who'd know how to help.

You can't, my thoughts snapped at me. He doesn't want to hear about Brandon. Don't you recall anything of what he last said to you? That was true. Clyde had no interest on my issues with Brandon. He'd probably wish he was dead.

My nerves calmed down by the time I pulled into my apartment complex. While getting into my parking spot, I noticed Clyde's car. The moment I stepped out of my car, a figure leaped out the drivers seat and went toward me. It didn't take long to recognize who it was.

Clyde rammed his hands into his front jean pockets, studying the ground. "Are you okay?"

I nodded and told him what had happened on the field earlier. He didn't look very surprised, only humming under his breath as I talked. "Why are you here?" I jumped right to it and asked him, not hesitating for a second.