Scene 11: Glass Shattering

Will's friends turned out to be just as warm and welcoming as his boyfriend, although many of them were far less energetic. They offered Travis a seat and some coffee. A couple of them even offered to let her borrow pads and their boards, but she politely declined.

While everyone rode, Travis just watched. The group was a mix of skateboarders, rollerbladers, and cyclists; and they'd clearly been hanging out together for years. She watched in amazement as they performed different stunts over the structures and barrels. Each vehicle had its own capabilites, and each athlete clearly knew those as well as each knew his (or in some cases, because Travis noticed a few girls in the group, her) own name and found their own ways to push those capabilities. Sometimes, athletes with different sets of wheels flowed through a series of stunts that had Travis covering her eyes and waiting for the noise that would come with the inevitable collision.

It never did.

"Wow! Great pass!" She opened her eyes and found Will sitting on the barrel next to her. "You're missing all the good stuff with your eyes shut like that."

"Sorry." She folded her hands in her lap. "How do you guys avoid each other? Is this choreographed?"

"We do choreograph exhibitions from time to time, but this is just a bunch of friends used to riding together. It's pretty cool, right?"

"I guess so...," her voice went up. She really hadn't watched enough to decide what she thought of it.

"Just keep watching, princess." He laughed as she swatted his arm.

But she took his advice and tried to trust that everyone knew what they were doing and that none of them would crash, or worse, fall off one of the structures. Some of them were rather high at one end. She wondered what the group did for first aid if an accident happened. If their kind of activities were frowned upon by the city officials, what did they tell hospitals?

A cyclist flipping over a spinning rollerblader's head on the lower ramps right in front of her caught her attention. The two completed their tricks and parted ways without incident, and Travis realized there was something beautiful about the way they moved. I wish I had my sketchbook. I could do something with this! The best she had was her camera, and she quickly whipped it out and started taking pictures and recording short videos.

Will laughed, and she glared at him. "Fine. You were right."

"Invite me to the screening." He pushed off the barrel.

"What screening?"

"The one for whatever you end up creating out of this."

"What makes you think I'm going to do anything with this?"

"Because I've seen the sketches." He took back his board from his boyfriend, and jumped into the dance.

Travis shook her head, trying to remember when she showed him any of her work, and went back to snapping pictures.

##

By the time the last of the group left the structures, Travis was falling asleep on Will's shoulder.

"You really aren't a night owl, are you?"

"Not really. Not by choice, anyway."

"What does that mean?"

She pushed herself back up. "Nothing."

"Well, I would have thought with all the stories about your parents that you'd be used to late nights and late mornings."

"Yeah... It's been nice not living that life these last few weeks."

"So, you're glad they're not here." He pulled her off the barrel and handed her bag to her.

"I'm glad to not be keeping their schedule."

He offered to walk her back to the studio, but she waved him off. "I think I can find my way back from here. But thanks."

She bid everyone good night, and headed up the ramp. The air outside had cooled enough to make her regret not bringing a light jacket.Oh, well. It's not that far a walk. She took a deep breath and coughed as the scent of oil fumes and industrial byproducts filled her nose. Okay, maybe it is that far a walk.

The air cleared once she was beyond the abandoned buildings, and soon the air was filled with the clean scent of cool air. Travis reveled in it, enjoying being able to listen to nothing but the sounds of the city around her. She couldn't remember a time when she'd ever really had that chance. It was glorious.

By the time she reached her grandparents' house, she felt completely relaxed. She opened the door quietly, hoping to not disturb anyone, and closed it behind her just as quietly.

"Well, there you are, sweetheart!"

Travis could feel her blood pressure rising as her father's loud baritone filled the downstairs.