Those Who Help(ed)

"Ophelia, we're terribly sorry for your recent losses. Us four students have volunteered to make sure you are healthy and taken care of. We know you might not be ready to talk, but please do know, we will listen to whatever you have to say." Laila says with her perky voice, gesturing to the two boys and other girl surrounding her. Ophelia is sat in a large chair, stretching her achy hand, her cast having been removed just days before.

"Why are you saying recent? It's been months. I'm fine." She pulls out a cigarette, lighting it with a tiny match, and inhaling. "You're in university, how do you not have other things to do with your lives?"

"You can't smoke in here." The short chubby girl says, trying to stay positive, but failing when her voice is loud and rude.

"Okay? Thank you, for the useless information. Now, back to what I was saying. You four ass hats can go find something else to do, unless you really want to hear what I have to say. Although I know it will not tickle any of your fancy's." She says, knowing how much she wants them to stay.

They all assure her that they won't be going anywhere, and she is relieved. The guilt was eating at her insides, but the rush that came along with it was overpowering, and she could care less about how upset it made her.

The things she'd done, were unforgivable, but it doesn't mean that she regrets them.

She lets the students know that she will meet them in the library sometime later in the evening, giving herself some time.

Ophelia sits on her knees, ignoring the damp grass soaking her jeans. "I'm sorry, that I did this to you." Her fingers run over the cold marble of the headstone that has her parents names engraved upon it. "I was only trying to keep you safe."

The money left from her parents, which was an absurd amount, let her join into university. She didn't care for any of the classes, but the novelty of a degree made her heart sing.

Although, the one other thing made that her heart scream with joy, was much better than a degree.

As she looks at the grass, and the fresh flowers placed on her parents graves, her mind shifts to the small plot next to it.

Jason McRobbs
1985-2014
Loving Son, Husband, and Father
Died Serving Our Country

She was never told about Jason, and by the time she found out about him, he was already gone. The brave unknown man.

His wife, who Opehlia can't recall the name of, had just had her baby, after he'd been deployed to the Middle East.

Jason had gone to live with their cousins when Ophelia had been born. And they never had contact, but when he died, the uniformed man showed up at her house.

Her parents weren't home, and as she watched the serious man, walk up to the door and remove his hat; she couldn't grasp the fact that her only sibling was dead. Her only sibling she's never known, was gone.

The emotions she held inside, we're enough to harm her well being. Her mind had been corrupted. She felt as if everyone she knew, or met, or allied, had to be punished.

And that's exactly what she was going to do.

•••

"Ophelia, are you in here? They are locking up soon, we have to go." Laila calls, slowly walking up and down the aisles of the library, three suck ups close behind.

A loud scream is heard, and they go running towards the sound.

Ophelia is sitting on the floor, a small tin of kerosene in her lap, and a lovely rose gold lighter.