2

Thomas soon found out that luck was exactly what he would need if he was going to cheer Newt up. They'd been talking for all of an hour and he'd hardly gotten anything out of him. All he could get was the occasional quip or insult directed at him or the hospital workers. Talking about himself only resulted in bored looks or feigned yawns. He attempted to ask questions about Newt, too. Anything from his home life to who the flowers on his table were from, but got similar results. The brunette's annoyance grew along with Newt's smug smirk at each response. Thomas gave up eventually, opting to pull out his phone and text Minho to see how he was doing. Before he could even finish typing, Newt spoke up.

"What, I'm so boring that you need a distraction when you're supposed to be keeping me company?" the boy grumbled despite the light smirk on his face. He was so damn smug that Thomas wanted to smack that grin right off his face. Smacking a patient who's seriously injured was probably not the best idea, however, so he decided to fight back with words.

"Oh, my apologies, princess," Thomas spat that last word and rolled his eyes. He was done playing nice. "I was just getting a little tired of being insulted by someone I'm here to help."

Newt's eyes widened slightly, clearly not expecting the brunette to take him seriously. His eyes narrowed again, sending a nasty glare his way.

"I didn't ask for your help, now did I, Tommy ?" he spat back. "You think I want to be locked up in some buggin' hospital like this?" No, he'd rather something much different.

Thomas' phone was away now, his attention fully on the boy giving him the deadliest look he'd ever seen. If Newt wasn't confined to his cast and sling, Thomas would have expected him to leap on him and tear him to bits.

"You think I want to be here?" No, this was the last thing he wanted to be doing. He was only here because he was dragged here by the others. "Maybe you should be grateful that I'm giving up my time for this!"

Newt let out a loud laugh at this, one that can only be described as maniacal. "I'll be grateful when you sod off, you bloody prick!"

That was all it took for Thomas to stand up, sending his chair sliding back into the wall with the back of his legs. He gave Newt one last look before swinging the door open and nearly slamming it shut. He quickly gained composure and closed it like he hadn't just fought with the boy. He was certain he'd heard Newt yell at him once again once the door had closed, but he really couldn't care any less at the time. He was sick of that stupid boy with his stupid accent and just... stupidity. He took out his phone again, seeing no reply from Minho and checking the time. 11:50 - nearly the time he had to be down at the cafeteria. He sighed and headed for the elevator, figuring it to be fine if he was there a bit early.

**********

By the time he actually located the cafeteria (which took him about 15 minutes. he's not good with directions.), Minho and Teresa were already sat with lunch at a table.

"Well, if it ain't Thomas! 'Bout time you showed up!" Minho called out, winking at his friend as he sat down.

"Hi, Tom." Teresa smiled, rolling her eyes at Minho as she slid a tray over towards the brunette. "I got you some food."

"Thanks, T." he returned the smile gratefully, beginning to pick at the food she'd chosen for him. The cafeteria didn't have anything fancy, so they were all eating the same thing: a sandwich and chips from a vending machine with a bottle of water. Clearly the lap of luxury. He had just begun to pick at his chips when Teresa spoke up again.

"So, boys, how were your patients?" she asked.

Minho went first, though Thomas didn't have much of a choice in the matter.