Chapter 28

"S-sorry, I... I didn't know-" Firepaw stuttered, looking terrified at the angry patrol.

"Do Ice Clan cats have any respect for the warrior code?" Hissed the tom.

"That bird is ours!" Sneered another small tom.

Dawnsky quickly stepped to the edge of the border, beckoning for Firepaw to get back to their side, "She wasn't looking where she was going. She didn't mean to trespass!" Dawnsky defeneded the trembling apprentice.

"Let me handle this, Dawnsky." Rasped Whitestar's voice from behind them. She trudged over to the edge of the border, "What happened here?" She asked the Mountain Clan patrol.

Dawnsky stepped back, flinching. This was the second time this had happened to her, the first time was when she lost her sister. Both times the leader came to the rescue. Hopefully Whitestar will be able to work this out as well as Moonstar did.... she thought.

The largest tom spoke, "This little fox-hearted apprentice stole, or tried to steal, our prey." He accused with narrowed eyes.

Firepaw spat angrily, "It was in Ice Clan territory first!"

"Silence!" Whitestar hissed, giving a warning glance to Firepaw to keep quiet, "Firepaw didn't mean to take your prey. She won't do it again. Right Firepaw?"

Firepaw narrowed her eyes, "They have no right to say that it's their prey! It started out in Ice Clan first!"

Everyone seemed surprised by her rude reply. Even the Mountain Clan cats' eyes widened. "Clearly your apprentices don't know the warrior code; you obviously don't teach them correctly." The tom growled.

A white she cat spoke up, "Brackentail, maybe we should leave them-"

"Wait a second," Brackentail interrupted, "where's Moonstar? We haven't seen you in a while. Is something wrong in Ice Clan?" He pried.

Whitestar stepped back, looking uncomfortable, "Ice Clan's problems are none of your concern." She spoke stiffly.

"So Ice Clan does have problems? Is it affecting the apprentices learning of the warrior code?" He sneered.

"Brackentail!" Scolded the white she cat, "Stop bugging them and just let them be! What else do you want from them?"

"Be quiet, Dovesong!" He spat, "Don't defend those filthy prey stealers."

"You little piece of fox dung!" Firepaw yowled in rage, lunging on top of the large warrior.

"Firepaw, no!" Dawnsky cried, but she was cut off when a black tom jumped on her, his claws unsheathed.

Raggedpelt, Swiftwillow, and Stormfeather came rushing from their hunting spots, eyes widened in surprise at the sudden break out of battle. Dawnsky wrestled with the warrior, trying desperately to kick him off. The warrior kept his grip on her, and she pretended to go limp. The second he relaxed his grip, she kicked at his belly with all her might, making him fly off of her.

Dawnsky rushed to go look for the little apprentice. She was no match for Brackentail, and Dawnsky hoped that he wouldn't hurt Firepaw too badly. But Brackentail wasn't fighting with Firepaw anymore; he and Whitestar were in locked combat.

Dovesong and Dawnsky were the only cats that were not fighting. Dawnsky was staring in horror as Brackentail clawed ferociously at Whitestar. Dovesong padded next to Dawnsky, "We have to stop this!!!" She cried.

Dawnsky nodded, but her paws seemed glued to the ground. Whitestar was too weak to deal with any warrior, especially not one as strong as Brackentail. Dovesong glared at Dawnsky and impatiently turned away since she hadn't responded, "Everyone STOP!" She yowled as loud as she could.