Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

My breath hitches in my throat as I look back and forth between the vampire and my mate. I can feel sweat beginning to prick at my upper lip due to my nervousness. How do I explain the fact that I had encountered a vampire? It would make him lose trust in me. Vampires and werewolves were not to mingle. I could just imagine all the thoughts that would cross his mind and the hostility that would root him. I needed him to trust me for me to figure out what was wrong with his side of the mate bond.

My mind is racking through lies and excuses, eyes wide with anxiety, looking at the vampire in slight desperateness. He looks at me his face calm, eyes constricting as he looks between me and Adonis, in scrutiny. Adonis is glaring at the vampire rather than at me.

My mouth closes and opens like a fish. The vampire speaks, looking straight at Adonis, "Who are you?"

"I am the Alpha of the Crescents." He projects his dominance out. The vampire looks a little surprised and he takes one last look between me and Adonis, a glimpse of anger flashing through his eyes. His fangs look like they've elongated slightly. My face pales.

"Are you his mate?" He spits out the last word, as if it was rotten. I look at the vampire, my breath still caught in my throat. Should I say the truth or not? If Adonis said no and I said yes, it would just turn into a huge pile of conflict and confusion.

"No, she's not." Adonis says. I turn my head so fast, to glare at him that it gives me whiplash. So, he can't admit that I'm his mate, but he needed me around. What was I to him? His pet?

It's as if my body had been simmering for a long time and something had just been unlocked and now I was overflowing with heat.

All I can see is red and my wolf wants to break free and rip his face to shreds. Wait... what? He was my mate... I'm confused at my own thoughts at the rampage that I wanted to unleash. A wild, feral part of me wants to reign over my body but I fight it, internally.

My whole body is shaking, and I can barely see what's in front of me. I am fighting with myself. I can feel Adonis touching me, asking me what's wrong as I almost sink to my knees. For the first time ever, I see fear flash through the big bad Alpha's eyes. Pain curls within my gut and it all feels like I was shifting again for the first time. It's the same pain that engulfed me when my bones had snapped and shortened for the first time.

The bond between me and Adonis and the closeness of his body to mine manages to just make me feel sick. It just fuels my anger, making my chest constrict. The blood in my veins convulses and I can feel it begin to possess my body. My nails lengthen, my claws making an appearance. My red vision can only make sense of a wolf touching me, not realising that it was my own mate, who is trying to find out what was wrong. And before he even realises or before I can come back to my senses, I sink my claws deep in his stomach, the addictive fresh scent of blood making my senses tingle.

I felt so alive.

But it doesn't last long, not even as long as a few seconds because with one quick move, I'm out, like a light being switched off and my vision goes dark.

***

The first thing that hits me as soon as my eyes open is my weak body feeling drained. My bones feel delicate and all the energy from my body feels like it's been sucked from every crevice. I am exhausted. My limbs are heavy as fatigue is settled in them. It took a lot of energy to move my head to try to figure out where I was.

I'm lying on a single bed, in a small white washed room. Grogginess occupies my entire body and as soon as I find the energy to move my hands, I look at my right hand, feeling even more confused. Why was I shackled? A thick metal handcuff is around my wrist, which is cuffed to the side of the bed. I move it around, staring at in bewilderment. How did that get there? Wait... why was I even in this room?