Forever

thanks to This_nerdy_girl for being awesome and letting me use her insults ^-^

summary: dan has a new favourite word. 
word count: 1.1k ish

It's just past half eleven when a confused Dan finally wakes up with an unforgiving hangover, no idea what happened last night and an empty space next to him in bed where Phil should be. He's only worried for a second though - as the waft of (admittedly slightly burnt) pancakes drifts through their cosy London apartment Dan's face breaks into a wide grin as he finally remembers; the laughing, the crying, the start of the rest of their lives...how could he forget the best night of his life? And it is, of course it is. So far.

He's got forever with Phil; he's sure that there are plenty more of the best nights to come.

It's with that stupid grin still on his face, his pounding headache basically forgotten, that he slides out of bed and follows the sound of Phil humming his favourite Muse song from the kitchen like the adorable dork he is. Dan's adorable dork, which is something he likes to remind himself - Phil is his.
Forever. Dan really likes that word.

It's when he's dreaming of the future, of their little forever that started today (or really, last night, he supposes) that he sneaks carefully behind Phil and the pancakes he's currently focusing all his concentration on, sliding his arms around his waist and whispering "good morning" in his ear.
Which, of course, leads to Phil yelping with surprise, jumping about a foot in the air and violently flipping the pan of pancake mix which rather unfortunately decides it prefers the ceiling and don't really want to come down.
Dan can barely breathe he's laughing so hard, more at Phil's failed attempt to look disapproving than anything else.

"Dan! I thought you were still asleep. It was meant to be a surprise..." He begins but is quickly stopped by Dan pressing his lips to Phil's, softly and gently and in a way that makes both their hearts melt, even after all this time and all the kisses before it.
"I'm still recovering from our last little surprise, lion." He says as they pull apart and Phil just beams, that beautiful radiant smile Dan has fallen head over heels in love with.
"You're recovering? You planned it!"
"Yeah, but I didn't think you'd actually say yes, you spork."

"Now why..." Phil pauses to affectionately brush Dan's fringe out of his warm chocolate eyes and eliminate what little space there was left between them.
"...would ever you think that, turnip head?"

They kiss again, because they've both agreed it's way better than air.

"Twat-waffle." Dan mutters in between kisses.
"Twat-waffle?" Phil asks as he runs his hands through Dan's hair, ruffling his fringe in an attempt to unearth the curls Dan seems to hate.
"You have your terms of endearment, I have mine."
"Maybe twat-waffle can be our always."

They both break apart because they're giggling so hard, and Dan's head is pounding again - partly because of the hangover, and partly because Phil is pretty damn amazing (see what he did there) at taking his breath away. He takes Phil's hand and, fingers interlaced, they go to sit down in the lounge, the breakfast disaster forgotten for the moment.

They do have forever to clean it up, after all.

Dan smiles again at the empty champagne bottle on the table.
"I am hammered - how much did we drink last night?" Dan absentmindedly traces patterns on Phil's hand, which turn into repeated letters which turn into repeated words:

I love you I love you I love you I love

"Well, as I remember it, I only had one glass." Phil recalls with a bemused smile and Dan holds his hands up in surrender.
"It was a celebration!" He protests. "I'm allowed to celebrate a little when I get to spend forever with you." Phil pretends to retch before his soft sweet smile returns. Dan can be cheesy as hell (and he knows it), but he's allowed be romantic once in a while, right? Especially after last night.
"That reminds me, haven't we got an announcement to make?" Phil bounds off the sofa like the excitable puppy he is and grabs his sticker-covered laptop, making Dan groan because yes, of course he wants to announce this to the world, announce that Phil is his forever but right now there are only two things he wants to do with Phil (One is sleep. The other is not so innocent...)

"Phiiiiillll." He whines to get Phil's attention off the latest cute dog gif he's found on Tumblr.
"Can't I just have you to myself for one day?" He says with pleading eyes, and he can see Phil melting all over again (it's not like it would be any different if it was the other way around)
"Fine." he says, closing his laptop and earning a soft kiss on the forehead in return.
"But I promised Lou I'd help her edit our collab today, so I'm going over at 5. You can have me until then."
"Don't be stupid, turnip-face. I've got you forever."

***

As usual, 5 comes way too soon for Dan's liking even if they've done nothing today other than played Mario Kart, made out and planned how they're going to tell everyone. Phil figures he better just tell Louise seeing as she'll get it out of him anyway, and Dan appears in the hallway just as he's zipping up his jacket ready to leave.
"Okay, bear, I'm going now." Phil says and they share a long lingering passionate kiss.
"Don't be too long."
Phil's about to walk out the door when he pauses and turns back.

"If I'm this nervous about telling Lou, how exactly am I going to be able to tell the world we're engaged?"

Dan laughs and grabs Phil's hand to hold up the golden shiny ring Dan spent hours choosing in the shop, spent hours deciding when and where to give it to the love of his life and finally deciding there was no more romantic place than at home (where their forever would start and never really end).

"Show them this, that'll be a good start."
Dan lets his hand drop and fondly kisses the top of Phil's forehead.
"I love you."
"I love you too."

According to every romance movie ever made, Phil should just walk out after that, but they're never going to be that cliché no matter how romantic Dan tries to be.
"Twat-waffle?"
"Twat-waffle."

It's just past half eleven when a certain video is uploaded which basically makes the internet explode, but Dan and Phil won't know what the internet is saying for a little while as they're too busy trying to plan their wedding and getting distracted by video games and each other's eyes. They're not really bothered how long it takes to actually marry, just as long as everything is perfect. Whether it's three weeks, ten months or seven years.

After all, they've got forever.