WATCHERS

I can remember every detail about that night. It was July 13th, 2015. That date will haunt me for the rest of my life. I had taken a shower at eight and I was finishing up that night's journal entry. I wrote in a journal religiously every single night for fourteen years ever since I was ten years old. It was therapeutic to write about my entire day right before I went to bed.

I usually went to bed a lot later than nine p.m. but I wanted to get plenty of rest so that I could be alert for my exam the next day. It was for an extremely difficult chemistry class and the professor's tests were ridiculously hard. So I closed the journal and left it lying on the desk across the room from my bed. Before turning off the desk lamp I made my way over to the comforter that sat, folded, on the chair in the corner. The comforter came with the bedspread and I remember hating that thing because it was so thin and practically useless. However, the AC in my townhouse had been broken for weeks and it was the only comforter I could use without feeling like I was going to die from a heat stroke in the middle of the night.

I wrapped the blanket around me, shuffled back over to the desk, and turned the lamp off. I then crawled into my bed and laid on my side, facing away from the bedroom door. I usually didn't mind lying facing towards the door because I usually had it shut. However, due to my AC problem, I had to leave the door open so that the smallest remnants of cool air could circulate and possibly find their way into my bedroom. Also, there was something about trying to sleep while staring down a dark hallway that made me feel uneasy. I guess I thought that if something malicious was to make its way into my room, I would prefer to not see it coming. Lucky for me, there was a window on the wall opposite the door facing the street. And just outside of it there was a bright, green tinted streetlight that shone into my room. I had never really noticed it before I started facing towards it at night, but I found that it was actually very soothing to look at. Almost like a night light.

I eventually went to sleep after about ten minutes of staring out of the window. At that point it was nine-thirteen and it was a pretty peaceful night. I lived in a gated community so there weren't really any cars driving by in the middle of the night making noise.

I slept for quite a while until I was woken up by a noise. A very mundane noise. But a noise I shouldn't have been hearing at one in the morning. Especially seeing as though I lived alone. It was the sound of what seemed to be multiple people walking up the stairs. I slowly turned my head around to see if I could see anything. I could still hear the sounds, but I couldn't see anything in the dark hallway yet. I quickly turned my head back around and immediately began to panic. I'd left my phone on the desk with my journal so that I would've had to physically get up in order to turn the alarm off in the morning. That was a big mistake. There were multiple intruders in my home and I wasn't even in the position to contact anyone for help. The sense of fear that rushed through my body froze my wide eyes. I was too afraid to even blink. The footstep sounds suddenly stopped. It sounded as though they were at the top of the stairs. I didn't know what to do. No words can describe how terrified I was.

After a few short moments of me just lying there, I had finally mustered up enough courage to move. I had reverted to my child like ways and all I could think to do was slowly pull the comforter over my head. The darker areas of the room seemed even darker through the blanket, however I could still faintly see that green light coming from outside. The footsteps resumed after a few seconds of silence. And this time I could hear them coming towards my bedroom. I began to sweat profusely and my heart felt like it was pushing its way up my esophagus with every violent thump. The sounds became uncomfortably close. And at that moment, I knew they were in my room. Whoever they were. I heard them move around the foot of my bed and past my desk. Soon enough the green streetlight, the only source of light in my room, was slowly covered by multiple creatures. I wish I could use a word other than creature to describe them. I wish I could say that they were men. Human men. Human men that broke into my house and made their way into my room so that they could rob the place or possibly even do something horrible to me. Honestly, that would've been a lot less terrifying than what I actually saw.

Through the thin comforter, I saw the silhouettes of three, tall...things. Their torsos were extremely skinny and their necks were around the length of my forearm. I couldn't get a good profile of their heads because they were looking directly at me. But from what I could see, they were slim and almost dog like with what resembled two ears protruding from the tops of their heads. I couldn't see anything below what I assume would be the navel region because the window wasn't large enough.

The three creatures stood there for at least five minutes making a series of chirping and clicking sounds. They seemed to make the noises in response to one another like they were speaking. Possibly about me. These three creatures were obviously not human. And I didn't want to remove the cover from my head to get a closer look. It was the last line of defense between me and their unknown intentions. The chirping sounds stopped and there was a solid ten seconds of eerie silence. A silence that was broken by a loud, deep voice inside of my head. The voice spoke in what sounded like ancient Aramaic followed by a single phrase in modern English.

"She will be a good bearer for Shemyaza."

After that, everything went white. And the last thing I remember was the cover being snatched off of the bed and me letting out a single, blood curling scream.

______

I woke up in the middle of a leaf pile. I had no concept of time. I had no memory of how I ended up there or why I was in so much pain. I was covered in dirt and blood. I was able to see that I was in a thick forest at night. I could also see that under all of that filth, were the exact same pajamas from the night the creatures came into my room. The only thing missing were my bottoms and my underwear.

I had just enough energy to stand up and I was horrified by what I saw next. A long string like thing hanging from in between my legs. It was slimy, coiled, and covered in blood. Upon closer inspection, I could tell that it was an umbilical cord. One that was cut with an almost surgical precision. I wanted to scream in horror but I couldn't. I was in far too much pain to inhale.

Upon discovery, I immediately got this very hollow feeling. Like something, something extremely foreign, had just crawled out of me and left me there to miss it. I felt scared, confused, and most of all, violated.