One

The sound of shoes hitting the concrete echoed off of brick buildings lining the sidewalk. It was late at night and the sun was long gone by now. As the sky grew darker, the air got colder and Tyler pulled his jacket closer around his body to ward off the chill. He could practically hear his mom nagging not to stay out too late by himself. The fact that he was currently walking through downtown Columbus only amplified her worried voice, but he wasn't the least bit worried for himself.

He had traveled this same sidewalk more times than he could count as it led to his best friend's apartment. If everyone knew how often he visited Josh, they'd think the boys were dating or something; that is if Josh didn't already have a boyfriend. Josh finally let him move in after months of begging and an excess of little gifts ending up in his apartment. It seemed like they were getting along just fine. Josh seemed happy.

But here Tyler was in the elevator of their apartment complex, his stomach turning over with anxiety. The only reason he was showing up at 11:43 pm was because Josh had called him up sobbing. Tyler had never received a distress call from his friend before. He had assumed Josh would call his boyfriend, Adam, first.

As Tyler neared Josh's door he was given the impression that Adam wasn't there with Josh. He stepped up to the door and knocked. The sound of his fist on the door resembled the sound of his heart readying to beat out of his chest. There was no answer at first and Tyler was starting to panic. He knocked again and almost hit Josh in the face as the door swung open.

Both boys stood in silence for a moment, Tyler surveying his friend. Josh's eyes were red and puffy and it was obvious he was still upset, his fists clenched around a tissue he had torn apart. Josh stared at his feet, curling and uncurling his toes. Tyler couldn't stand the thought of Josh alone in his apartment crying over something Tyler didn't even know about. He sighed and immediately pulled his friend into a hug. Josh went rigid, almost flinching at the sudden contact, but he relaxed and let Tyler hold him.

Tyler eventually pulled away to look Josh in the eye, his hands resting on his friend's shoulders. The inevitable question sat on his tongue and he debated in his mind whether he should even ask. Josh only continued to stare at his feet. Tyler took a breath and decided it wouldn't hurt to try. Maybe he'd even get a real answer this time.

"Are you okay?" The question was loud in comparison to the silence that filled the room seconds before.

Josh held his tongue for a moment longer before mumbling the only lie he'd ever tell Tyler, "I'm fine."

Tyler let his hopes plummet with the all too familiar phrase hanging in the air. He knew Josh wasn't fine. It was blatant and painfully obvious. How long would Josh tell that lie? Tyler sighed again, removed his hands and let them hang by his sides.

Josh sniffled and proceeded to close his apartment door. He cleared his throat to gain his composure. "I uh... bet you're pretty tired so if you want to stay the night you can."

The last time Tyler spent the night was atleast three months ago so he quickly agreed. He was reminded that he and Josh hadn't been spending very much time together lately. He had it chalked up to the fact that Josh lived with Adam now and probably wanted to be with him as often as possible. Tyler knew he'd likely do the same thing if he lived with his boyfriend, you know, if he had one.

Josh let a small smile creep onto his face and led Tyler to his guest bedroom. The lighting, or lack thereof near the front door had hidden the dark circles under Josh's eyes but Tyler could now see clearly that Josh was in fact exhausted. He wanted to ask so many questions like 'Where's Adam?' or 'Why were you crying earlier?' or maybe 'Why haven't we been hanging out lately?' but decided they could wait until tomorrow.

Josh said good night and left him alone. Tyler stripped down to his t-shirt and boxers, scanning the room. There was a closet to his right and a small night stand next to the bed. It looked like the last person that slept here was him months ago. He felt a sliver of pride being the only friend Josh invited to sleep over. Finally he slid under the sheets and pulled the comforter up to his neck. He didn't realize he was so tired until his head touched the pillow and a few minutes later he was asleep.