Six

Over a week had passed since Tyler bumped into Josh at the grocery store. He hadn't stopped thinking about his friend since. He wanted to visit him but Josh wouldn't answer his phone. Tyler hated the loss of communication and he was feeling increasingly lonely. Josh wasn't his only friend but rather the only one he enjoyed talking to.

However, he didn't have time to sit and sulk. His shift at his part-time began in 30 minutes so Tyler prepared himself for another day of scooping ice cream and blending milkshakes. Dressed in is Baskin-Robbins uniform, he grabbed his wallet and keys and headed to the door. He felt his phone buzz in his pocket so he fished it out and aswered, "Hello?"

"Hey Tyler, it's me."

"Hey Josh," Tyler tried to contain his burst of excitement to hear his friend's voice. Josh didn't sound very excited though. His voice was rough and tired.

"Um...," Josh wasn't sure if there was a polite or less awkward way to ask someone to come over so you could spill your guts out to them. "Are you doing anything today?"

"Well currently I'm going to work," Tyler ambled down the metal staircase that led to the lobby, absentmindedly dragging his fingers along the dingy wall.

"Of course," Josh nodded as if Tyler could see him. "When does your shift end?"

"Around 3," Tyler paused at the bottom of the stairs. "Why?"

"I need to talk to you," Josh was having trouble forming simple sentences. The words were jumbled in his mind like a ball of yarn. How was he going to vent to Tyler when he turned up at his door if he could barely talk to him over the phone? "I can't really explain much at the moment but there's just a lot of crap going on right now and-..."

"Sure, Josh," Tyler wasn't hesitant with his reply; he was ready to see his friend again. Frankly, he was ready to find out what had been keeping Josh so preoccupied the past few months. He was also ready to find out who he had to fight for giving Josh a black eye days ago. "As soon as my shift is over, I'll drive to your apartment," After passing through the lobby and out the front doors of his complex Tyler added,"I'll bring you some ice cream too. Cookies and cream is your favorite right?"

Josh sighed in relief. He had forgotten how easy it was to obtain Tyler's company. Tyler was always eager to listen to even the silliest things Josh had to say. He smiled, remembering the time he had kept his buddy up until the wee hours of the morning, rambling on about a TV show he'd become obsessed with. He was lucky to have such a good friend; one that didn't forget his favorite ice cream flavor.

"Yeah it is. Thanks Ty. I'll see you later."

"Bye, Jishwa," Tyler opened his car door and tossed his phone into the passenger seat. He sped off, focused on the road until he pulled into the Baskin-Robbins parking lot. He straightened his visor before leaving his car and entering the building, completely content.

Josh was napping on the couch when he heard three sharp knocks on his apartment door. He stood slowly, stretching his limbs, and attempted to fix his hair out of habit. Before he could finish, the visitor was knocking again slightly louder than the first time.

"Yeah, yeah I'm going to open the door. Calm yourself," Josh stepped over and turned the knob. The door opened to reveal a smiling Tyler dressed cleanly in his work clothes and holding two large cups of ice cream.

"Finally. I thought maybe you forgot I was coming."

The boys embraced, careful not to crush the ice cream. Josh tugged Tyler inside and closed the door behind them. Tyler sat himself on the couch and gestured for Josh to sit next to him.

After taking a calming breath, Josh complied. He folded his legs under, sitting in some contorted position, and reached for his slightly melted ice cream.

"I think the only reason you're able to sit like that is because you're part cat," Tyler stated, matter-of-factly.

"Prolly," Josh smiled at the sentiment but logic told him that was highly unlikely. "Prolly not."

The boys sat in pleasant silence, enjoying their cold treats. Josh finished first and went deep into thought. He had to determine a way to tell Tyler what he wanted to tell him. If he could manage to get his explanation out, he wasn't sure what he would do next. How would Tyler react? Would he call Josh weak? What if he didn't want to be friends anymore? Who would want to be friends with a coward that let themselves be trapped in their own home?

"Josh?" Tyler placed a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Hey are you alright?"

Josh didn't realize he'd been gripping the couch cushion so tightly. With every doubtful thought his mind produced, his grip grew tighter until his knuckles were ghost white. He released his grasp on the soft fabric and inhaled deeply.

Tyler looked troubled and he had completely forgotten about his ice cream, which was liquid by now. "Do you need some water?"

Josh finally steadied his breathing and observed the concern in his mate's features.

It's now or never.

"I'm fine, Ty," Josh relaxed as best as he could. "But for about 20 minutes I need you to hear me out. I'm almost regretting inviting you over because my mind is telling me to keep my mouth shut. I just need someone that I can talk to."

Tyler's face softened and he could tell Josh was serious about this. Inside, he was more worried than he was before but he knew not to let it show. He needed to be tough for his friend.

"Go ahead and talk my ear off, dude. I'm listening."

I promise.