o n e

July 1988

"I'm tired." My little sister said.

"Do you wanna go get in bed?" I said. She nodded and ran to her room. I walked in and tucked her in.

"Goodnight, Korine." I said, turning off the light.

"Goodnight, Parker." She said, as I walked out. I got to my room and grabbed my book. After reading about half the book, I put it down and looked out the window. I saw a figure in a red hoodie walking down the street, looking around to see if anyone was following. I looked up at the clock.

Who in the right mind walks through downtown at 1am? Is he trying to get mugged? Plus wearing a bright red jacket? Couldn't make it easier to be spotted.

I got into bed and tried to ignore the thought of the boy in the bright red hoodie.

***

The next morning I woke up early and picked up the copy of Of Mice and Men. I sat at the bay window and faced out. I could see the streets full of cars and people. I read until I heard the muffled voice of the TV in the living room, noting that my brother, Drew was awake. Our parents had died in a train crash a couple months ago, and so Korine and I had no choice but to move in with our older brother.

"Hey, you're up early." Drew said as I walked into the living room.

"It's almost 10, not that early." I said.

"Want breakfast?" Drew asked.

"Of course." I smiled. He got up and walked to the kitchen.

"Can you go wake up Kori?" He asked. I nodded and walked to Korine's room.

"Kori, wake up!" I basically yelled.

"Let me sleep!" She whined.

"Drew's making pancakes." I said.

"Chocolate chip?" She asked.

"Probably." I smiled.

"Okay, I'm up." She said, jumping out of her bed and running out of her room. I laughed and followed her out.

"Goodmorning!" Korine said, walking into the kitchen.

"Goodmorning." Drew said, handing us each a plate of pancakes. Korine grabbed the syrup and poured it all over her pancakes.

"Save some for me." I laughed.

"Sorry." She said, digging in.

"Parker, can you watch Kori tonight? I'm gonna work an extra shift tonight."

"Sure thing. You're working a little hard, don't you think?" I said.

"You know I gotta try and keep a roof over our head and pay for college."

"I know but you've been working your ass off. Maybe I should look for a job."

"No, school comes first. Don't worry."

"I guess." I said finishing up. I put my dishes in the sink. I walked to my room and changed into a black t-shirt and some jeans. I walked to the bathroom to see Korine cleaning her face off.

"Want help?" I asked. She nodded. I grabbed a towel and wiped off her face.

"I love you." She smiled.

"What did you do this time?" I laughed.

"Nothing!"

"Okay, if you say so. What do you wanna do today?" I asked.

"Watch a movie!"

"Okay, let's go get changed and then we'll go to the theater." I said. Her face lit up and she ran to her room. She was a very energetic 6 year old.

(A/n) short and really bad chapter. Sorry but I hope (won't promise bc trust me, I'm not a good writer lol) it'll get better! Bye loves