Chapter 1: A Brief Encounter

New York at six in the morning is chaotic. People were coming from everywhere, sipping coffee, walking briskly, or simply sipping coffee and walking briskly. The click-clack of heels against the pavement and the sound of cars honking, desperate to get out of the traffic, was the morning’s soundtrack. There were loads of people and everything is a rush and I am hopelessly in love with it.

The jam-packed streets reminded me the world is bigger than I thought. Back in my hometown in Westchester, everyone knew everybody it’s almost suffocating. As Teen Vogue once said, “This girl (meaning me) was destined for far greater things. With her talent and skill, there’s no doubt this 13-year-old is taking the fashion world by storm!” It was that blurb four years ago that got me to where I am today, walking the streets of Times Square five minutes late for a brunch with my manager/aunt.

I was having a mini brisk-walking-race with the businessman beside me but he was too preoccupied in his phone call to even notice. A few minutes later, I got phone call myself.

“Sup Father? To what do I owe this call?” I said. During this time of the day, Father is tending to some spoiled heir having a “severe” case of stomach ache. Plot twist: it’s not that severe, just a bad case of too much ice cream and candy. But you know kids, always exaggerating.

“Just reminding you to pick up your student handbook before orientation day.” Father said. “We moved to New York for bigger opportunities for you. But no matter how big that opportunity is-“

“-studies must always be my priority.” I finished for my Father. “You kept telling me that ever since we moved to New York. You gotta expect me to memorize it.” I heard a high-pitch wail on the other line. Time for Father to go.

“Gotta go, Kara. See you at dinner. Love you.” Father hung up before I even got the chance to say I love you back.

Ever since we moved to New York, Mother and Father have been so immersed with their jobs lately the only time we get together is during breakfast and dinner. I wouldn’t blame them though, since I, too, have other things to attend to. Over the course of the summer, I’ve shot an editorial, an album cover for an up and coming pop-rock band, and a couple of ad campaigns. Also, I modeled for a fashion spread and some local commercials. It was a really busy summer.

***

“You’re late.” Aunt Margaux said sharply as I took a seat in front of her.

“I know… I’m aware… I’m sorry.” I said in between breaths. Aunt Margaux stared at me for a few seconds then smiled, which is peculiar since she doesn’t tolerate tardiness. “Uhm, why are you smiling?”

“I’m just so happy to be working with you again!” she said with a huge grin. During school days, Aunt Margaux goes through my emails and categorizes them in the following: photography, modeling, fan mail (as weird as it may sound yes, I do get fan mail. Not a lot though), and spam. So that when I log in Friday night, I wouldn’t have to scroll down so much.

“Uh, me too Aunt Margaux, me too.” I said. She smiled, again, and asked me if I met ‘someone special’ during the summer. “I was busy with photo shoots and modeling during the summer. I barely have time to unpack the rest of my stuff how can I have time for that ‘special someone’!!” I exclaimed. Aunt Margaux laughed, which is very strange. Usually she would act all bitter when someone showed up late for a meeting or appointment.

“You should keep that in mind,” she said. “your career is taking off and I’m sure you wouldn’t want anyone to weigh you down.”

“You seem awfully happy that I’m late Aunt Margaux,” I said. “have you met ‘someone special’ during summer?”