Lilith

My tongue bled from the force of my teeth. The metallic taste filled my mouth. I couldn't think straight. Staying like this would save my life, but I couldn't say the same for the others. There was a loud crash, the building around me was collapsing. There were sounds of sorrow everywhere. The cries of the fallen. The weeping of those who were spared, those who were forced to watch.

I should be helping. I told myself. But I wasn't ready for something like this, I knew I wasn't. All of this time I had been carried by those around me. I couldn't prevail on my own. I wasn't sure what to do. I wanted to help, but a mix of uncertainty and fear held me back. I was weak. I was a coward.

Just weeks prior, I wouldn't have imagined being in a place like this. The most dangerous thing I had done was sneak into school after dark. Listening to people who had risked their lives for me die was not on my agenda.

Suck it up Finn. That little voice in my head said. You're not helping anyone by just sitting here. Unfortunately he was right. I had to get up and move, no matter what anyone else told me.

I slowly relaxed my jaw. My tongue began to bleed more freely, to a point where I was spitting it out. As soon as I opened my mouth, the giant pillar I was hiding behind crumbled. I turned around, facing my fate with my eyes wide open.

It was time to meet my maker.