Chapter 30

This chapter is dedicated to IzzyLaBella for the amazing cover!

"Don't think about it. Think, and your actions will betray your thoughts. Don't feel bloodlust. Keep a calm heart. Move forward."
Mohiro Kito, Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 8

***

I heard the suffocated gurgle of blood choking its victim. My smirked widened, satisfied with my kill.

"S-Silver."

I gazed up into the face of my target expecting to see the outline of the Commander but instead it was Cloud who stood in front of the officer.

"Why did you do it? I could've killed him!" I yelled, frustrated.

"You...said it yourself...you're not a murderer."

Finally, the haze lifted and I realized what I had done.

I was about to pull the blade out of Cloud's stomach but he placed his hand on the weapon not letting me take the dagger out.

"Cloud—"

"I'm not Cloud." His voice wasn't the same; it sounded strange coming from Cloud, a much darker tone.

Zephyr took over as my vision returned. What I saw scared me. He no longer held the injuries the Commander left on him. I've never seen Cloud like this before; the smile that spread across his face wasn't one of mischievousness but of wickedness, one that showed fangs that resembled Zephyr's.

"Who are you?"

"The name's Azazel. I'm Cloud's dragon spirit."

He raised his head and the look in his red eyes made a shiver of fear run down my spine.

Zephyr, what—

"Am I talking about? You mean you haven't told her, Zephyr?"

Told me what?

"That I'm the one mentioned in the prophecy; the evil influence, not him," He jerked his thumb backward at the Commander.

The officer just smiled.

Cloud pushed the weapon further into himself, not even flinching as the wound became deeper and I had no choice but to step closer to him as he looked down at me with that crooked grin still on his lips; his eyes flashing in sick amusement.

"If you're here, how did Cloud die?" I asked dreading the answer.

"Your tormentor killed Cloud during The Purge. He and I made a deal. Your death in exchange for a cooperation; a partnership. Our rule over Shade and beyond. Poor Cloud couldn't control me so he gave up and went along with the deal."

"If Cloud couldn't control you then why are you showing up now?"

"Sadly, I can only be awakened by being stabbed in the stomach, much like you just did not too long ago. I knew Cloud would be stupid and place himself in front of you. Compassion is such a weakness."

He's not stupid, he's an idiot, I thought absentmindedly.

His grin widened.

"I'm going to kill you myself so that I can destroy this place and everyone in it. Just like the prophecy said." He laughed as he pushed me away. "And maybe do something more."

His wound was already healing itself.

"Are you sure you can bring yourself to kill Cloud?"

No. I can't. He doesn't deserve it.

I looked down at the weapon that was covered in Cloud's blood.

Can I really do this to him? Can I really take his life away?

"You better choose quickly, kid," He reached into the insides of his jacket sleeve and pulled out his sword, "because I'm ready to plunge this into your heart."

He dashed towards me and quickly became a blur. I leaped out of the way just barely dodging the unnoticeable attack and came up into a crouched position.

Zephyr, I can't do this. I can't—

"I told you to make up your mind. I'm not going to wait for you!"

He swung his sword, ready to take my head off my shoulders, but I quickly ducked under it.

"Cloud, you have to fight him! Don't let him win!"

"Even if he did win it wouldn't matter, you still have to kill him. It's either him or the village!"

I suddenly found myself sliding across the stone floor on my back. Dazed, I realized he kicked me in the chin as pain exploded around my jaw.

"Come on, kid, where'd that murderous intent go? This is getting boring. At least put up a decent fight."

A groan escaped me as I got myself into a sitting position. I let go of my dagger, got rid of the make-shift bandage and placed my hand on the hole in my shoulder. I concentrated as my hand started to glow white; healing the wound.

Cloud raised a brow at the sight.

"So, you've taught her something after all, Zephyr. Maybe it's time we start to play fair."

I felt the front of my jacket being pulled and saw the blur of trees. I barely had the chance to understand what was going on before I slid across the forest floor, stunned.

I heard a noise next to my head and realized it was a sword.

"And you call yourself one of the Dragon Race. You bring shame to our people." Cloud spat.

I reacted by kicking him away from me and quickly getting into a defensive stance. My weapons weren't with me anymore, our unexpected trip into the forest made me drop one of my daggers, but at least I could attempt to disarm him.

"Shut up. Because of you I have to kill Cloud." I growled.

I can't do that to him. He doesn't deserve it. There has to be some other way, I thought.

"Are you sure you can do that? Are you willing to sacrifice his life for the ones in Shade; the very lives that scorn and hate your very existence?"

My stance didn't falter at his words, knowing how fast he's able to attack.

"Not everyone is like that; Cloud wasn't and neither was the kid."

"You really are clueless, aren't you?"

I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"What are you talking about?"

"Cloud wasn't the only one that you're supposed to kill. Alycia also held a dragon spirit."

Blood drained from my face.

"She was supposed to kill you but those stupid cats got in the way and managed to seal the spirit away before it completely controlled her. Too bad they couldn't do the same to Cloud." He smiled, showing those pointed teeth only a dragon has.

You knew, didn't you?

It was quiet for a few seconds.

Yes, I did. I thought I could have protected you if I kept such knowledge hidden.

I inhaled and exhaled slowly, now knowing what the result of losing control of my temper can do.

We'll talk about this later.

"I was hoping that would make you mad enough to lose it again." He mused, then threw my daggers towards me. I caught them easily with the help of Zephyr's eyes.

"Come on, I'm tired of talking. Let's fight already."

I grit my teeth as I came to terms with what I was going to do. I have to end Cloud's life to get to Azazel.

***

Remember to comment and vote!