Chapter 1 - The Dream

Her eyes open to the deep blue of a sky moments after a summer sunset. A coldness seeping through the thick fabric feeling almost damp like morning dew. Trees invaded the top of her view of the sky; the air clear and fresh of the countryside. She was used to the sounds of a busy London road echoing up the street and floating into her bedroom; but her surroundings where nature's silence - a distance run of water, light breeze through the leaves, the sound of some animals going to sleep, some waking up.

Not taking her eyes off the overhead trees, she rolled onto her front, resting on her forearms and curled a cold piece of grass around her finger; then looked at the forest, beginning not a few meters from her. Her eyes fixed onto the only light in the dark shadows of the forest. She stared at it for a minute, before climbing to her feet, brushing the grass from her light blue snowflake onesie complete with fluffy pompoms, and slowly stepped off the grass onto the forest floor; glancing up to the light from watching carefully where she put her feet, finding an odd comfort in getting the soles of her pristine white socks dirty.

"Am I dead?" She wondered; the light getting closer. "They always say to follow the light."

She wasn't sure whether it was the approaching night, or the thickness of the trees increasing but A few more steps and she stepped onto grass once again. Lifting her eyes, she found herself at a clearing, the sky now dotted with faint silvery stars from galaxies millions of light-years away. On the grass, a small camping lantern burnt dimly; so dimly she was amazed at being able to see it from her previous position. A small tent sat beside the light. She let go of the tree she didn't realize she'd been hugging and took a few more steps towards the tent.

She stepped on a twig. It snapped. A small noise that sounded like thunder. "Hey!" She stopped her dead in her tracks. A breath caught in her throat. "What are you doing?" The voice of a young man called from behind her.

"I'm sorry." She panicked, breathing at a rate just short of hyperventilating. "I didn't mean to, I woke up in the field....I don't know where I am." It hadn't been a thought, even a whisper of worry in her thoughts. She felt safe; protected. But suddenly her common sense - telling her that she should be afraid - got the better of her and her heart-rate soared.

"It's okay. Don't panic." He soothed. She was hyper sensitive of his movement, feeling his every movement behind her. He gently dropped his bag towards his tent and stood in front of her. He gently hooked his finger under her chin. Tapping his thumb against the skin beneath her lips. The sensible part of her knew she should be pushing this guy away and running in the complete opposite direction. But he lifted her head to meet his eyes. They glittered with a sudden rush of life as their eyes locked. "It's you." She felt a tingling in her stomach slowly erupting to her skin and spreading like water across her. "You're here." 

"I'm here." She replied as he cupped her face with his warm hands, setting her face on fire.

"I didn't think I'd ever find you." He whispered. She smiled, reaching up to run her thumb across his cheekbone.

"But you have."

"I'm Lukas."

"Elin."