Prologue

Martin Jackson is what happened. He is the kid to be voted most likely to become a comedian at school. He wouldn't classify himself popular, but he was basically the most known person between all the cliques of the school... He just perfectly fits into every single group. He can make anyone laugh and smile, no matter who you are. They say the only reason he passes is because teachers just want to pass him on for the next teacher to have a great year. And yes, some teachers don't fall for his charm and jokes. So, under all the partying and funny jokes, he actually studies from time to time.

    Marty, that's what we call him, invited me to one of his big parties... They are always fun and no matter if you're socially awkward, Marty manages to make it worth your while. Their family used to live right next to us, but they moved since his father left them with nothing, they had to move in with his aunt... So, when he has a party, I'm always invited.

    I could hear the loud music from a kilometer away as my dad dropped me off at his house. I walked up the path that led to the front door. I was about to knock on the door which would have been pointless because they wouldn't have heard me when suddenly Corrie opens the door. Corrie is Marty's twin sister. She is a one in a million-kind-a-gal that knows exactly what to say and when to say it. She understands and listens to you. It seems like that's what made my two favorite twins so special. They accept you no matter who you are.

    Corrie greeted me with her beautiful smile and let me in. We walked in, barely hearing the other person speak, and I started to realize how many people there were that I knew! They were all from my school and some of them from his. I greeted some here and some there, while Corrie and I made our way to the kitchen where the famous Martin Jackson supposedly was... I haven't seen them for a really long time, and I just couldn't wait to see that brilliant, happy face that made you smile the moment you stepped foot in the same room.

    "Hola, cómo estás, Erica?" Marty called the minute he saw me. I looked up to see the amazing smile I have missed for so long. He looked great. Really great. Last time I saw him, he didn't have a muscle to flex. Now I could barely give him a proper hug!

    "Estoy bien, thanks. Looks like you've been working hard on your Spanish, I see?" I answered with a big grin.

    "Hehe... Hell no! He is actually failing Spanish... He practiced extra hard to say that to you," Corrie said, and we all broke out in laughter. There were a few other people in the kitchen too, but not any that I know of... They were laughing, clearly understanding what was going on. Out of the seven, Corrie, Marty and I being three of them, there was one guy in particular that stood out.

    He had blond hair, deep blue eyes, and a nicely formed jawbone. He was kind of muscular looking and had the most beautiful smile. The moment my eyes caught sight of him, I instantly fell in love. But suddenly a thought came up in my mind... What if his girlfriend was here? Then I would end up like one of those ladies with twelve cats and one bird because I was checking someone's boyfriend out...! I didn't look back at him for the rest of the time I was there. I have a rule, and that is to never check out anyone who is unavailable! It just didn't seem right to me to do it...

    So I enjoyed the party with other guys I knew, and I must say, I was pretty fun. Until Marty decided to be Marty and play matchmaker... He always tried to match ME up with someone I don't know... My last relationship lasted two years. Marty matched us up a couple of years ago, and we became close and later we started dating. He was really nice and we're still friends, but it ended because he went to college and that would be way too much long distance.

    So, Marty called me over to where he was standing. When I arrived, I notice that other guy from the kitchen standing next to him. And suddenly Marty starts. "Sorry to bother, but this here friend of mine needs company, and I need to go bake a cake. Bye." And with that, he left 'to go bake a cake'... Really Marty?!

    I did feel more attracted standing next to him now, but from what Marty said, it didn't sound like he had a girlfriend... I looked around and then back at him. He really did look gorgeous standing next to me. His eyes met mine and we instantly connected.

    "Your Spanish is outstanding!" He said with interest.

    I looked at him in confusion. Then I realized he was in the room a few minutes ago. "Oh, I didn't think anyone would notice it... Hehe, can you speak Spanish?" I said, hoping he could. There is nothing as romantic as a guy who can speak Spanish!

    "Si puedo." He said as he smiled. Oh! His smile made my knees go weak! "Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Erik with a K, and you are?

    "Okay, 'Erik with a K.' I'm Erica with a C." We both laughed. I loved his laugh. It was a gentle chuckle. Something unique. I knew, and he knew, that this could be something more than just an introduction at a party. More than just a Marty-match-making story. But like they say, all good things come to an end. But this is where it started. It started with Martin Jackson. It started at the party that would never be forgotten. And this wasn't the end...