Bread crumbs

2 months had past since the last time someone saw her. At week one I was already on the streets, half mad with pain, with a fucking razor in my pocket, ready to slit my throat as soon as I found that she was dead. But I couldn't let my emotions cloud my intelligence. I upped my dosage to 5 pills per day. It allowed me to play batman with her friends. Where did they last see her? Are they telling the truth? Everything was pointing out at that she disappeared when she was walking around a small alley.

After that I was there all day and all night. I dared the one who took her away to show his face. I would fight him with my teeth if it came to that. I missed her terribly. I was looking for clues as to what happened everywhere. My mother and my sister soon learned what I was doing. College called. I haven't been at the campus for a month. I missed 2 assignments. They threatened to send me at an insane asylum. They were right. I was out of my mind. I knew it. No good could come of me hanging there.

But I couldn't leave. This was the only connection I had left with her. I used my considerable intelligence to hide the fact that I was insane. I assured the judge that I knew that she was gone and I was just sentimental. I could still function, I was eating, I was taking care of myself. I was just like one of those old people, who visited the place where they have been with their lost partners, when they were young. He bought it. I had earned some time.

A month passed, when one day, I saw something. A small window, something that was refracting the light in a strange way. It was a matter of time of course, I couldn't keep popping pills every day like crazy and not have hallucinations. I walked towards it. I was looking for her for 2 months. I was searching for any hint of what happened. Maybe this was my imagination, but it didn't matter. I had to take the chance. I walked up to the window and then.... I was someplace else.

Grass was under my feet. My eyes struggled to adjust from the depressive night that I left behind to the bright daylight of this place. My first thought was that I had finally gone crazy. Even so, this was one impressive hallucination. I wondered, if the telltale signs you're dreaming can actually work on hallucinations. I tried every trick I knew and as far as I could tell, this was a reality. A parallel world. Holly crap. The scientists back to earth would be amazed by this! I could become rich, famous, change forever the world I.. I.. nothing mattered without her.

"Right," I thought, "I'm in another world and I must find the woman I love. But I should send a message back for the scientists though." I wondered why she didn't do it. Surely she would think of the significance for science, or at least she wouldn't want anyone to worry! Maybe someone kidnaped her. I reached for my pill bottle but I stopped. If it was gonna take me a while to find her in this world, I would have to make it with what pills I had on me. Besides, she is tough. Even if someone kidnaped her, she would find a way to escape and kick his ass. I tried to hold that thought in my mind and relax. I tore a piece of paper from my diary and wrote about my discovery of this new world and threw it at the window. It bounced back burned.

"Oh... shit. What if she didn't think of testing the portals safety before she tried to come back. I know I hadn't thought of it," I thought and panicked enough to convince myself to take a pill. I thought of her earrings. Surely they wouldn't burn, they would melt. And they would be around here somewhere. So I poked around the portal carefully not to touch it.

And then I saw something that made my heart pound with joy. An arrow formed with white rocks on the ground. Bless her wonderful brain, she remembered that small piece of trivia I shared with her so many months ago.  All I had to do now was follow the signs she left me.