Pacing

I was pacing. Pacing back and forth in my small cell. I heard screaming. More than usual, anyways. And it wasn't like a 'get me out of here' scream; it was a 'God, please strike me dead' scream. It frightened the heck out of me! After the scream, I heard several clusters of noises. I thought it was other inmates at first, but then I heard authoritive yelling with it. And high-pitched whistling that killed my ears. I suppose that was the point though.

     I'm getting shaky. I could feel myself shake all over. I sat down and rocked. This seemed to help me since I was younger. When my dad left, I sat on our couch and just rocked and rocked while crying. It seemed to help my shaking a bit. What on earth could be going on out there?

     I heard what ever it was out there start to settle. I need a nap. I need something. If I took a nap, the guards might not like it. They liked us to be on a sleep schedule. Why, I don't know. Something about being more restful.

     Screw it. I thought as I climbed into my plank.

     "Sam!" I felt a shake through my body. I jolted up to see Trey standing there with a curious look on his face.

     "You okay?" He asked. I nodded sleepily.

     "What happened?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

     "What do you mean?"

     "What was all that noise going on out in the hall a while ago?" I looked up at him to see a huge, swollen shut black eye. "What happened?" I semi-yelled, more awake now. Without thinking, I reached to touch it. I quickly pulled back.

     "Oh, this? I, uh, got hit in the face with a chair," he said like it was something you hear on a day to day basis. I gaped at him.

     "A chair? Really?" He nodded slightly. "What happened?"

     "I'm not allowed to tell you..." I frowned at him, "but a prisoner a few doors down grabbed a guard through the food slot and wouldn't let go, so we opened the door and there was... a scuffle."

     "No kidding." I said, dully.

     "Okay, ready for yard time?" He asked, trying to but back a little excitement in his voice that was lost in the seriousness. I gulped. I hadn't had yard time since the riot.

     "Can I refuse?" I asked. I really didn't want to go. He looked at me weird.

     "Not really. They would say your barracading yourself and you'll have a punishment." Dang.

     I got up and he did the cuff routine. I could feel myself getting shaky again. I just wanted to be left alone. Was that too much to ask?

     When we arrived at the yard, I looked around frantically for Jess and her gang. I knew they wouldn't be put in the same fifteen minutes I was in, but I couldn't help but be terrified if it actually happened. It got me into that predicament in the hospital and I'm not happy about it. I could tell Trey knew I was afraid, and he knew exactly why.

     "Don't worry. I made sure Jess wouldn't be able to get anywhere near you. Same to her gang. This is the best group I could put you with considering your... history." I nodded. I still didn't want to be out here.

     "Thanks for all of your help," I said as he undid my cuffs. He sqeeze my hand from behind.

     "My pleasure." After that, he left me alone to my uncertain death. I didn't even know how I was in this, but I know that however it was, it was not a happy accident.

     "You have a visitor," Trey said as he slid my door closed. Must be my mother. Haven't seen her in a bit. Trey did the cuff routine as I stood there tiredly. I've had so many nightmares throughout the last few nights. Apparently, I didn't do a great job hiding it.

     "You okay?" He asked concerned. Crap, he caught me.

     "Fine... Just a few nightmares," I said as convincingly as possible. I wondered how he'd react. I soon got that answer with more concern than I was asking for.

     "Are you okay? I feel so terrible for you. Is there anything I can do for you?" He asked, making it very clear that it was not an empty gesture.

     "I'm fine. I mean there's not anything you can do."

     "Au contraire. If it's sleeping trouble I can let you see the prison doctor. She could give you sleeping medication over the counter. I'll have her see you after this visit."

      When we arrived at the visitor center, my mom was sitting on the other side. I was relieved to see a smile on her face that replaced the overwhelmed look that was normally there. I was immediately curious.

     "What's up, mom?" I asked.

      "I have wonderful news! The private investigator found some money in the victim's accounts that all came from the same account. He's looking into it and trying to figure out who that might be."

     "That's great, Ma! Oh, what if I could go home if they find something!"

     "Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It could open the case if we find that person, though. He should have the name in a few days," she said with all seriousness.

     "I know, but think, Mom!"

     "I've been thinking! I'm sure you have too being locked up in here all day, but we have to keep our heads straight. We know this could do very well on our side but it could be nothing. We'll just have to see."

     Just thinking, imaging it all was amazing. I can't wait.