i.

Dull. Drab. Simplistic.

That is what every day feels like to me. My life falls into the same boring, monotonous routine day after day. I feel the thirst for an adventure burning in me like one's throat feels when it's parched from dehydration.

But it isn't the textbook definition of adventure that I crave for. I'm not the exotic type. I don't wish for an exploration in the Amazon or backpacking across Europe or even climbing to the top of Mount Everest. As fascinating as that all sounds, I just want something to spice up my life. I want something to fill that void that has been such a constant.

What's this adventure that I search for then? It's quite simple actually and perhaps, in some people's minds, silly. But to me, it means so much more.

I want love. That's all.

I want to love, and to be loved.

"What are you typing, Ella?" I shut my laptop quickly, looking up at the handsome, Scottish bachelor who also held the much sought after title of 'my roommate'.

"James! I didn't hear you come in." I adjusted my glasses as I internally tried to calm my rapid heartbeat. He looked at me strangely, coming over to sit on the bed next to me.

"I have a key. I live here. Are you trying to hide something from me?" An inquisitive look shadowed over his features as his eyes that made sapphires jealous flickered between between me and the laptop I held close to my chest.

I scoffed. "No. Of course not, why would you say that?"

He placed his hand over mine which still clutched the laptop tightly. "Love, I've been your friend for ages now. If there's anyone you know you can confide in, it's me."

I sighed, slowly releasing my tight grasp on my much-used laptop.

"I was just writing something."

"Like a blog?"

I nodded my head. "Sort of."

"Are you using it as a diary? Are you seeing a therapist I'm unaware of?"

"No, James."

He scrunched his eyebrows, tapping his chin with his forefinger. "Then I'm completely perplexed."

"I mean you were right when you asked if it was like a diary." I scratched my head, feeling my cheeks heat up. I didn't want James to know about the void I felt, the craving I had to be loved. It seemed desperate and it was an emotion I wanted to keep to myself.

"Can I read it?" he asked, quirking an eyebrow.

I shook my head swiftly. "No. No way."

"But you put it on a blog. The whole world can read it, why can't I?"

I sighed. "I used a fake name. No one knows it's me and I'd rather keep it that way, okay?"

James huffed. "Whatever. Anyways, I had come home wondering if you wanted to go check out that bar and grill place on Main Street? It's next on the list."

James and I had a sort of food bucket list. After moving to Greenwood, South Carolina, we decided to form a hobby to keep ourselves entertained. After searching on the internet and jotting down all the food places in our new town, we decided we would eat out twice a week and try a new place each time.

We both agree that it has been the best and worst decision we've ever made. The 'worst' usually coming after being stricken with food poisoning.

"What's it called?" I asked, watching as he pulled up our list on his phone.