STOP. VICTIMIZING. 5SOS.

A/N: If you're an extreme 5sos fan and get easily offended when it comes to them I'm warning you right now you may not want to read this.

So the Teen Choice Awards were tonight (well last night now it's 1:13 AM Monday where I am), and everyone that even remotely pays attention to 5sos knows basically all of them were sick. I personally did not watch the TCAs, but I saw in my timeline on twitter that, while they did good, you could also tell they were sick.

That being said, of course some people picked apart their performance and said they did awful and all kinds of crap. Now I get that being slightly bothersome because they're sick and that is obviously gonna make someone off, but I saw someone go on like a damn tirade flipping the hell out about it. Basically saying how 5sos were sick and yet still gave a killer performance but if it were a girl with her "boobs and ass out" she would get "praised" and told she still did well and basically that instead of picking apart 5sos to find a role model that actually cares about you as a fan.

That reaction was WAYYYYYYYY too extra for the actual situation at hand first of all. But that's not the point.

I've noticed that the 5sos fandom has a habit of, in essence, victimizing 5sos. Taking everything they do and making it sound better or worse than it actually is. If they're sick, fans make it sound like they're dying of a rare illness. If they hit #1 on iTunes on the first day for something, they act as if no one has ever achieved that before. They make 5sos out to be more special than they actually are.

Now I'm NOT saying that 5sos can't be special to their fans (if you're wondering why I'm choosing this wording since I was a 5sos fan PM me or something I don't have the time to explain it here). What I'm SAYING is to take 5sos' successes and situations and right size them, instead of blowing them up to be a bigger thing than it actually is.

Like with the TCAs and them being sick. 

I understand as a fan you worry when your fav is sick, and want them to be happy and healthy. But I saw people basically babying 5sos. "Don't say anything about their outfits they're sick don't be an ass." Stuff like that.

And then after 5sos performed saying "OMG THEY KILLED IT EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE SICK THEY LOVE AND CARE ABOUT THEIR FANS SO MUCH!"

And losing their MINDS over anyone that said otherwise, responding with "they're sick of course they're gonna be off their game leave them alone at least they performed they truly work so hard."

I will agree that anytime anyone is sick ever they will be off their game.

However, I'm gonna let you all in on a little secret (LAST CHANCE TO BACK OUT BEFORE YOU GET BUTTHURT):

EVERYONE

GOES

INTO

FUCKING

WORK

WHEN

THEY'RE

SICK

LITERALLY EVERYONE.

It DOES NOT make 5sos any more special for performing when sick. Literally EVERY artist in the music industry does this ALL. THE. TIME. It's not special. It's part of the job. Because them staying home affects other people, not just themselves. 

5sos aren't better role models than someone else or care more about their fans than someone else because they performed when sick. They are literally JUST like EVERY artist EVER. And artists have gone on under WORSE conditions.

Dave Grohl broke his leg and continued performing. Chester Bennington from Linkin Park has performed several times with broken limbs. On the other side of music, Brian Littrell from the Backstreet Boys (yes I'm a fan I'll knock you out if you judge me for it) went back on tour four weeks after having HEART SURGERY when the resting time is like 2 months AT LEAST. AJ McLean (also from Backstreet Boys) was back on the road like immediately after getting out of rehab. And mind you Backstreet Boys sing AND dance. That's EXTRA strain, especially on the heart.

Hell, even IN REAL LIFE you have to go into work sick sometimes. My dad has gone into work with his face swollen up from a bee sting. My mom went into work way back when and felt like death and then found out she had pneumonia the next day. I myself went into work yesterday sick. It's LITERALLY part of life. 5sos aren't more special for doing it. They're just like everyone else in the world, and when you all get jobs and grow up you'll realize that fact.

And as for  the people insulting 5sos about their performance, or just insulting them in general, I think 5sos fans need to grow a backbone and stop attacking everyone that says an opinion that isn't "OH MY GOD I LOVE 5SOS." Like if they're being mean, offensive, and just spiteful that's ONE thing, but don't attack someone just because they said "5sos sucks." That's THEIR opinion. Let them think it. Everyone has bad critics in the entertainment industry, or even in real life. 

And I think 5sos fans and 5sos themselves at this point need to accept something: 5sos will NEVER be accepted into the pop punk/rock world (which they aren't in genre wise anyway but ya know). They will never be fully embraced by the fans/bands within that world. NEVER. The damage is too great for them to find a way into it. They will always be associated to 1d, always have that boy band stigma. Y'all are trying SO hard to make 5sos more hardcore than they actually are. SKH and Fly Away are two "pop punk" songs out of the array of 5sos songs that are pop rock, with WAY more pop than rock. Doesn't make them hardcore, doesn't make them punk rock, or even rock for that matter. 

You all are trying so hard to force them into a world that will never accept them, and you need to let it go, because it most likely will never happen. So instead of fighting it, just enjoy their music, be a fan, block haters without a fight, and be done with it.

Stop babying 5sos. Y'all are always the ones who get pissy when someone brings up drinking or smoking or sex saying "they're grown men let them do what they want" but treat them and coddle them like toddlers over the dumbest most irrelevant crap. 

Build a bridge, grow a backbone as you build it, then get tf over it.