Chapter 19

(Leo pov)

"I thought you were dead!" I exclaim, hugging her back. "I thought the Empire killed you!"
"No. That shot missed my heart, just barely. Kanan found me and saved my life. That's how we first met." Hera says, smiling at Kanan. We let go of each other and I turn to Kanan, who is wearing an expression that even as a Jedi Padawan, I can't read. 
"Did you know about me?" I ask Kanan. He shakes his head.
"Hera told me she was alone when she was ambushed."
"Love, I would have told you, but I didn't want Leo to be a target for the Empire." Hera explains. She looks sorrowful. "I'm sorry."
Kanan is about to reply, but I cut in.
"Hera, they killed Mom."
She looks stricken. "No. They wouldn't have!"
"But they did. I got scared, so I stole Dad's ship and ran. Luckily it didn't have a tracking device on it. Then I met Jessie, and yeah."
"And yeah? That's your explanation? Where were you guys?"
"I...I can't tell you."
Hers looks crestfallen. "You don't trust us? You don't trust me?"
"I do, Hera. I do trust you, and if these guys are your friends, I trust them too. But I promised someone that I wouldn't tell. I need to keep that promise."

Hera nods after a moment. "I get it. Anyway, it's great to have you back. You haven't been on the Ghost for a while, huh?"

"Yeah. I missed it."

"So, you've met Zeb, Chopper, Kanan, and Ezra. I think we're missing Sabine, Arianna, and Emma." She says. "But let's get some sleep. It's been a long day, and I just put us into hyperspace." 

We all nod. The tone in my older sister's voice makes it clear that she's not suggesting we rest; she's ordering it. I chuckle a little bit as we all leave the cockpit, except for Chopper. Hera was always good at giving orders.

Hera goes to her room and Zeb disappears to his, and that leaves Kanan and I. He opens his door and we enter. Kanan sits down on his bed and stares at me. 

"What?" I ask.

"I can't figure you out," he says. "You're Hera's long-lost brother, you're a half-Twilek, half-human, and you're Force-sensitive. More of a Jedi than a Force-sensitive, actually. Who trained you to use a lightsaber?"

"I...I can't answer that." I say. He gives me a look.

"Leo, I don't believe that you're on the Empire's side. I don't WANT to believe it. But Jessie Lovt left us a year ago for a mystery planet and now suddenly, she comes back with you. And you've avoided all questions about your location or what you were doing. So, I have to take the precaution that you might be a spy, if you can't trust us and answer our questions." 

I'm shocked and annoyed now. "Kanan, I'm not a spy! Neither is Jessie!"

Kanan sighs. "Leo, one of the possibilities is that you're a spy sent to infiltrate us. Who better to do it than you, the Captain's brother, and Jessie, a former member of our crew and Ezra's better half?"

Ezra's better half? What does he mean by that? I'M Jessie's better half, not that Padawan.  "What do you mean, Ezra's better half?" I ask, suspicious. 

"We'll talk more about this tomorrow. Get some rest. Hera doesn't kid around when it comes to eating or sleeping." Kanan lies down and turns away from me. I sigh angrily and climb into my own bed. As I fall asleep though, one question continues to gnaw away at me. Ezra's better half?