Chapter 8

A little while after, a few of Derek's other coworkers come up to say hi, and they make introductions. While they are in the midst of a conversation, Stiles whispers into Derek's ear that he'll be right back, and Derek nods in acknowledgment.

It takes a few minutes to locate the restrooms, but Stiles tries to make it quick. He remembers Derek not wanting to be alone for long at the beginning, and although he seemed okay when Stiles left him, he doesn't want to take chances.

When he comes back into the ballroom, he searches out Derek in the crowd. It's a good thing he tried to be quick because he finds Derek cornered on the edge of the dance floor, with none other than Valerie. He thinks she's trying to get him to dance, but Stiles can't tell from where he is. It's a slow song, he realizes, and of course she would try to move in on his man (sort of his man?) during the 5 minutes he went to the bathroom.

By the time he reaches them, she's already managed to drag Derek closer to the dance floor, and he can hear that Derek is making apologies to her, saying that he was waiting for Stiles, that Stiles would be right back and wouldn't like it if he saw Derek dancing with her.

"You're right, I wouldn't," Stiles says, striding up to Derek's side, sliding his arm through Derek's. Derek lets out an audible sigh, and gives Valerie a shrug of apology.

"I was only trying to get him to dance, try and have some fun," Valerie interjects, defensive.

"Derek has plenty of fun with me, don't you sweetie?" Stiles says looking up at Derek.

"All kinds of fun," Derek answers, giving Stiles a lustful look, like he's thinking about getting Stiles out of his suit and imagining all the ways they could have fun. It makes Stiles shiver.

Valerie groans. "Well have fun. It was... nice meeting you, Stiles. Derek." She dismisses them both with a nod and walks off muttering.

Stiles holds back his chuckle and turns to face Derek, moves his arms up to wrap around Derek's neck. Derek pulls him in close, rests his hands on Stiles's hips and starts swaying with him to the music.

"I think she won't bother me anymore. She muttered something about finding herself a human because werewolves were stupid."

Grinning, Stiles says, "Good. She can't have you. You're mine, remember?"

He could feel Derek's hands tighten on his hips at the words, but Derek bobs his head in answer.

Technically, he's done his job; there's no need to keep up the act, at least not to the level they had been. But if this is the only time he can do this with Derek, then he's going to take advantage of the situation as much as he can.

He presses in close to Derek, barely any space between them, and rubs his nose, his mouth, along Derek's jaw, his neck. He presses open-mouthed kisses there too, and Derek gasps but doesn't stop him. He starts kissing his cheek, the corner of his mouth, and Derek turns his head to catch Stiles's lips with his own.

They don't even realize that the song has changed from slow to another fast song until a couple people bump into them because they've been too focused on each other, of the feel of their lips against one another, their tongues sliding against each other, their breaths mingling between them.

Derek clears his throat after they move off the dance floor, away from the gyrating mass of bodies. "Ready to go home?" Derek asks.

"Yup. You?"

"Yeah. I saw the people I needed to know, and definitely accomplished what I wanted thanks to you."

Stiles grinned. "That's because I'm awesome."

"Ha ha. Yes, you are. Come on," Derek says, taking Stiles's hand in his to walk them out of the ballroom.