uncertainty

"No offense Ryder, but I thought this was a father-daughter thing." I shifted and held onto the car seat's head cushion to face Ryder, who was situated in the backseat.

"Consider it more of a fun get-to-know-each-other. " Joe clarified, jabbing at my side, indicating for me to face the front due to safety reasons. "Now, Lennox and Mel will be meeting us there at two, so we'll have plenty of time to do things without Mel retaining a never ending list of precautions."

"Oh, okay." I nodded in approval, eyeballing my cheap faux leather wristwatch, revealing the time; 12:03 am. "Are we there yet?"

"Oooh." Ryder exuberantly patted on Joe's shoulder. "That my friend, that would be ten."

Joe cursed something fowl under his breath before pulling a bill from his jean pocket with one hand, leaving the other sternly fixed on the wheel. He threw the folded bill back to Ryder.

"Ten? Ten what?" I narrowed my eyes to my left towards Joe, then back at Ryder. "What's with the five dollars?"

Joe glimpsed back at Ryder through the rear view mirror and chuckled softly, concentrating on the road soon after.

"It was before we left," Ryder explained. "I might've made a bet that you'd ask that question ten times."

"Am I that predictable?" I once again turn over to face Ryder. "I stay overnight at your place and you think you know me so well? Well I'm glad my worries amuse you." I scoffed, crossing my arms like a child who's candy just got stolen. I twisted to the front before continuing to talk. "Uncertainty is a real thing you know. I mean, would you walk into a dark room not knowing what's inside?"

"Riley, you gotta let loose." Ryder spoke softly.

"Let loose?" I rationed. "What if there's a gargantuan lion just waiting to kill you?"

"What is this Narnia? You're living off of what-ifs." He let out a frustrated sigh. "Sure there might be a lion, or maybe there's a pack of velociraptors. There'll only be one way to find out, right?"

"And that's supposed to help me?" I furrowed my brows. "You're basically telling me to go into a dark room to find out if I die or not. Why not avoid the room overall?"

"No, I-"

"Are we the yet?" I cut him off, staring out the window.

Ryder groaned.

"Ha!" Joe snapped. "Pay up."

"Let me guess," I threw my hands up and glared at Joe. "you made a bet for eleven?"

"Sorry Riley." His facial expression read sorry, but nevertheless, swung his arm back and grabbed his bill, along with an additional $10.

"Why am I not surprised?" I muttered to myself and sunk deep into my seat. "I feel so used."

"Loosen up kiddo,"Joe grinned, nudging my arm. "we're here."

"Thank God. We're..." I held my head high. "surrounded by water?"

Joe only laughed and carried forward with driving further down the bridge after sensing the major disappointment in my voice.

I couldn't see anything beyond the tall, lanky trees, the suspense killing me entirely, but as more of the land came to view, I gawked at the view of colorful roller coasters and high rides. I rested my hands on the cold glass window and listened to the screams of children as they rode down from the top of the coasters.

"Do you like it?" Joe pulled into a parking spot after handing our tickets to the guard at the head of the parking lot. He turned off the engine before reading my expression.

"It's perfect." I beamed.

"Well then." Joe stepped out of the car and stuck his head back in. "What are we waiting for?"

We strolled towards the gate with Joe leading in front, Ryder to my side. Although I was here with Joe now, observing all the bright young children with their parents made me wish he was in my life sooner, wishing it was me who had a happy childhood with a proper family. I pushed away the thought when I noticed Ryder taking his steps closer, leaning towards me.

"Hey Riley," I listened to his low soothing voice, as he placed his hood on his head.

"how's that for uncertainty?"