Chapter 32, Rigid

The rope falls from my wrists and I sigh in happiness, talking to an unconscious Saphrina. Mumbling to her, or maybe to myself, as I stand. A retched gurgling appears at the base of my throat and I fall to my knees, holding my stomach. What's wrong with me? I've went days without food before. I suck in much needed air and hold my injured hands toward me, protecting them. I forget about my scars for once and take my jacket off, wrapping the cloth around my arm completely, I push my chair back to where it was, any evidence that Sap helped me; gone. 

I don't want to leave her, but if there's a sliver of a chance that either of us gets out of here alive, I need to leave now. Before Adam gets back. I start towards the stairs when Sap whimpers. I curse myself, and turn back to her. My eyes start to water, not out of hunger, or anger, or tiredness. But out of self-hatred. Sap never left me, not once. No matter how many times her father had hit her, no matter how many times my mother hit me and forbade us to see each other, she was always there; sneaking into my window, and hiding under my bed when needed. I wipe at my eyes with the cloth from my jacket and I limp towards Sap, "I gotcha Sap" I sob, "I got you." I whisper gently, watching the stairs as I untie the rope constricting her back; pulling as hard as I can. I swear, blood seeping through the cloth on my hand. 

My hand's never gonna be the same, I think as I pull the rope away from her body and throw it as far as I can. "I'm here Sap, I got you." I keep repeating, thinking, knowing the drugs we're under; that she thinks the exact opposite. She thinks I'll leave her because that's what Adam wants her to think. I'm not going anywhere. I move to her wrists and see that her hands are unpenciled. I sigh in relief, but gag once I realize Adam begun to peel her skin away, inch by inch, on her forearm. I swallow the bile forming in my mouth, and silently thank Adam for not feeding us; because if he had; I would have tossed my cookies. Her eyes flutter open, but she doesn't see me, "Mom?" 

I close my eyes, thinking; mom, always trying to keep us away from each other... Did she know that Sap was her daughter, and didn't care? Or did she know, in earlier years that if I'd known, she'd be in danger? 

I watch as Sap's eyes roll back into her head, and silently promise to get her out of here alive. I untie her wrists and slap her face gently, "Sap? Sap you got to get up." I whisper over and over again as I lean down and untie her legs. My back goes rigid when I hear a distant thud above ground. I look around the room, desperate. Standing, my eyes lock on a small door and I grab Sap's waist and pull her up roughly, her eyes opening, gasping. "Shhhh," I cover her mouth, and limp towards the room, just as a light appears above the stairs. I swear internally and open the small door and push Sap in gingerly, shoving myself in behind her, letting the door fall shut silently. 

There's loud foot steps, louder then usual. I glance at Sap, her eyes shut and breathing some what regularly. A loud bang and thud followed by a gasp of air falls from the room beside us. My mouth twitches, uncertainty following. "What?" Adam hisses. I close my eyes, shaking miserably. Please, please don't have the sense to check here; please. There's a loud clank, as if he through our metal chairs togetherand footsteps nearing. My heart beat speeds up, almost breaking out from under my rib-cage. I cover my mouth, scared that I might puke. There's a familiar groan and my eyes open, scared. Jayden? "No," I whisper to myself. Tears form and spill over the rim of my eyes, "No." My heart slows and a kind of calming sense comes over me. I let my eyes fall shut, tears pecking my skin, falling onto my lap. I breath in, and out. I breath in, and out. I breath in, and there's shouting. 

I open my eyes, and kick the door open, standing as fast as my legs, back, neck will let me. Jayden's punching Adam, and tackling him to the floor. Adam laughs and rolls over, Jayden now under Adam, his face a deep purple, Adam choking the life out of him. My breath catches, tears form once again. Jayden glances towards me and his eyes only slightly widen, his hands fight for control of Adams. Like he only now has something to live for. Adam, straddling Jaydens hips, laughs it off. My entire body aches, my stomach is hollow, and my head is on fire. So I can't describe the surge of energy I get once I see the whites of Jaydens eyes; the deep blue rolling behind his head. My hand falls from my stomach and grabs the nearest thing it can. I follow my hand and realize the nearest thing is metal rake. I smile devilishly, the room turning red. I take the rake in both hands and hurriedly limp towards Adam, his back to me. The closer I get the less I can see Jayden, the more worried I become. When Adam stands I lose all hope, thinking that Jaydens already dead, but no. Adam stands because he knows I'm here; he knows I'm watching.

"Sister," He said sadly, "I thought you had left me." He whirls and his eyes rake up and down my body, "What are you doing playing with that? Dear sister give it to me." His accent heavy and his breath no doubt foul. I shake my head once, "Not a chance dear brother," I put all the hate and resentment I can muster into that single word. He smiles slightly, his eyes darken. "Very well," he charges toward me and I raise the rake above my head, and force my arms down as hard as they'll go, knocking him down. He gets up almost immediately, which really freaking sucks. I throw the rake behind my head and swing towards him and he steps to the left, laughing; like we're playing an actual game. "Oh how fun sister! How FUN!" The malice that falls from that word makes me shiver, and he charges towards me, knocking me down with his entire body. He rolls on top of me and punches me in the stomach. I gasp, dropping the rake. I throw my arms up, protecting my face as his fist gets closer. I finally get a bit of air into my lungs, at the same time, his hand grasps mine, digging his thumb into my palm, blood oozing from my wound. I shriek, my back arching in pain, my breath quickens, "You bastard," I scream, but it doesn't come out as a scream, it comes out as a whimper. 

He smiles, and leans down as if he were going to kiss me. I flinch once he does, my entire body going rigid. His lips are hard and broken, nothing like Jayden's. His tongue is slimy an tastes of bile. I try to pull away but his hand pulls my hair towards him. I bite his lip as hard as I can and he pulls away, his eyes angry but his mouth bloody and smiling wide. "Goodnight dearie." He whispers as he pulls a knife out of his back pocket.