02: Just Confessing

author's note: Halloooo! Well, if you are reading this, then you are quite a stellar human being. Thanks for sticking around! I have study week and finals in about a week, so I'm hoping to crank out one more chapter before going on a little break. So I hope you guys like this! Is it too long? Should I make the chapters shorter? Haha, let me know, give me feedback on anything you guys like! And I know I keep repeating myself, but gosh, thank you guys for such a warm welcome! It means so much to me! Don't forget to vote and comment, happy reading!! xx Ü

--

“Did you have fun visiting Peyton?” my mom asked.

We were doing the laundry, and I was so anxious about meeting up with the lawyer today, I kept messing up the folding. I didn’t tell my mom that I was skipping out on my first class today, and it wasn’t like I had a perfect attendance record to uphold. My parents went through a lot of shit with me. I’ve gotten suspended twice already last year for doing stupid stuff, and they made sure I didn’t go crazy this summer. They used to be really lenient on me, but now, it’s like they’ve attached a freaking GPS locater on my phone.

I didn’t blame them though. I’ve put them through hell. They used to think that it was Theo and James who influenced me, but I was always a bad child. Being good just never interested me. But god damn, this whole marriage thing was blowing my nerves through the roof. If it was real, I may as well say bye bye to any social life I had left.

Going on this trip to see Peyton was a reward for my “good behavior” this summer (minus all the bad things they would never find out about, shh, don’t tell them). Lana and I were basically inseparable, so my parents didn’t mind letting me out with her. And after telling my parents about our theory on Theo and James’ sexual orientation, they don’t mind them that much either. My dad tells them to make like an amoeba all the time. It was kind of funny, because both my parents were nuclear physicists who hoped the next Einstein would pop out of my mom, but nope, they ended up with me.

“Mhmm,” I replied, doing my best not to meet her gaze. I knew if I slipped up just a little, I would spill about the marriage.

“That’s it? No details?” That was my mom trying to bond with me. Don’t get me wrong, they were pretty stellar parents, but when dinner talk becomes business talk, and the only thing I have to offer is: did North Korea launch their bombs yet?, you’d begin to distance yourself too.

I threw my laundry in the basket and waved it off as if it was no big deal. “I think James’s here. I’ll tell you about during dinner.” I zoomed to my room, dropped the basket and picked up my book bag before flying out the door.

“Whew, that was a close one,” I said, buckling in my seatbelt. Lana and Theo were already inside. They always picked me up last, I don’t know why. I think it was because they didn’t want to end up having to discuss the daily news with my parents and their excuse was their need to be on time for school. What liars.

“Did you tell your mom?” Lana asked. Concern was written on her face, and I felt a little better. Lana and James were sort of making a joke out of it, but I knew they meant well. I haven’t even spoken to Theo since. He looked...worn out today.

“Nope. I was about to though. It’s so hard keeping secrets from them. I swear. I think they’ve hired private investigators to watch after me.”

The rest of the car ride was spent with James and Lana belting out songs like they always do. I usually joined, but today I was so nervous and didn’t feel that sing songy. After what seemed like an eternity, James finally pulled up to his residence.