Don't Pity the Pained Ones

Chapter 32
Alex

The wind blew through my hair as Levi drove the jeep through the streets to the mall. I have Harry on my lap while Zero played with Oliver.

"So you two picked up a pair of stray children?" Levi questioned us.

"They're cute stray children," Zero laughed as Oliver pulled his hair.

I huffed, "They're not stray dogs, Levi. Zero, quit squirming around. I don't have room back here."

The car ride was a little bumpy, but with Harry's fluffy hair blocking my view, I didn't have to feel too afraid of the car.

Rider interrupted, "You four went in that compound, and you figured out that Rose planted a bomb in there with children tied up to-"

"Wait," Levi stopped Rider, "Let's not forget that you people destroyed the damn purifier!"

"The bomb destroyed it," I corrected, "I know another way to get one."

The tape recorder with Rose in it mentioned that she took all the other purifiers. She has the others, so I'll take it from her after I kill that sociopath.

"What other way?" Brent questioned.

I replied, "Well, Rose took the others, so I'm going to get it back."

"Mommy!" Oliver giggled, "Look at this."

Oliver makes the shape of a gun with his hand and points it at Zero.

"Bam bam! Daddy's dead," Oliver laughed as Zero played along.

My mouth fell open as I witnessed what Oliver did.

"I taught him that," Zero whispered to me.

I roll my eyes at Zero and replied, "Shouldn't you teach him how to be respectful and well-mannered?"

"Oh okay," Levi huffed at me and Zero, "So you and Alex went inside the compound and came out with two children and no purifier."

"Levi," I sighed, "I already explained."

"Yes, but don't you understand that we can't just go waltz on by to Rose and take it," Levi stated.

Finn interrupted, "We'll make a plan. We have like three weeks until we have to go back home."

"How long will you be gone?" Zero asked me.

"What do you mean?" I replied.

He answered, "Like once you go back to 55, how long will you stay in that compound?"

I paused and looked at him to see if he was serious.

"I'm staying in there forever," I said.

There was a small pause with Zero, but a small smile formed on his face.

Zero let out a laugh, "Well, have fun in hell."

I rolled my eyes at him. I stare at Harry who played with his cuff. The cuff from the handcuffs were still around his wrist.

"Don't worry," I whisper at Harry, "I'll get it off of you once we're home."

"You mean back to Lighton?" He questioned, "That's home, not wherever you're taking me."

"You're from Lighton?" I asked him, "That's really cool. My friend used to go there-"

"Were you the lady?" Harry interrupted, "The one who was hung and escaped?"

"Yes, that was me," I proudly smiled.

Harry murmured, "You stood there... You watched them hang my real mom. She was the first one to be hung, and you just stood there."