Chapter 37: Bad Dreams and Embarrassing Nights

Nightmares.

A frightening or unpleasant experience that haunts one when they least expect it. Usually at night, when they think they can have a peaceful slumber. A bit like how I thought I could have a peaceful slumber. Oh, how I was wrong.

The familiarity of the fire from the building, surrounds me and almost suffocates me with its lack of oxygen. I turn around, searching for a place to run, but the orangey blaze traps me and leaves me only to feel the raging heat attacking me. I bet I could melt at any moment right now.

My eyes catch sight of a figure, laying motionlessly on the ground, surprisingly on the other side of the fire. I squint my eyes to get a closer look, and when I see the dark, wavy locks that surround the figure's head, my eyes widen. It's Lauren.

"Lauren!" I yell at the top of my lungs, racing forward to reach her, but a burst of fire shoots past me, stopping me from reaching her. I can't get to her.

The fires that surround her, edges closer and closer to her body, sending me in panic mode. I'm not letting her get hurt. I don't care if this is real or not. She is not going to die.

Tears race furiously down my face as I try to find a way around the fire, but I'm trapped. I can't move. I look down and try to budge my feet from their position, but it's as if someone has glued them in place. No.

A blood curdling scream causes me to snap my head up, and I see Lauren's terrified expression. She's backing up to the wall behind her, the fires edging closer and closer and closer.

"Lauren," I cry out, trying to push myself to reach her, but everything feels so real. She's going to die. And I'm going to watch her, knowing I could have saved her, but didn't.

She sends me one last look, her green eyes viewable from where I am. Tears roll down her cheeks and her petrified expression is the last thing I see before the fires envelop her and her screams are heard. I cover my mouth in shock and scream out at the top of my lungs, all my anger, frustration and fear being expressed.

She's gone.

***

My eyes shoot open violently and immediately search around the room frantically. I sit up straight away and feel my cheeks soaking wet. I raise my hand and feel wetness, causing me to look down to my pillow and see that it's got a dark wet patch on the usual white fabric.  It was just a dream. Or a nightmare, technically.

After that horrible experience, I know I need to see Lauren. That felt so real. I need to make sure she's okay. That she's safe. That she's still here.

I click the button on my bedside, signalling for the doctor to come help me. As I wait for her to come, I pick up my whiteboard and pen from my beside table and write a message on it. My hands are shaking with fear, betraying my obvious affect from my nightmare. I manage to try my best and write what I need to.

"How can I help you, Y/N?" Doctor Hudson asks as soon as she walks in my room. I can see the look of concern on her features once she notices my red eyes and tear-stricken face.

I hold up my board and she furrows her eyebrows as she reads it.

'I need to see Lauren.'

She sighs, hesitantly replying, "I'm afraid she's asleep, Y/N. She's had a hard time, as have you, and is resting up. I suggest you do the same."