twenty-three

June 27, 2094

CAMILA

Edgar Allan Poe once said that the eyes were the window to the soul, and I believed that. Seeing Lauren's eyes for the first time in what felt like centuries, I think I finally understood what Poe was trying to say. It wasn't just Lauren that I saw, but myself; a reflection of my own soul rather than hers. The green in her eyes were even more prominent than before, her irises the color of a deep, dark forest filled with pine trees. They had lost that luster, the brightness in them, but they were still beautiful nonetheless, and it didn't stop the breath from hitching in the back of my throat upon seeing them fully. We all have our reason to forget to breathe, and she was mine.

I knew the world didn't stop for anyone. I knew it didn't stop for my grief or my happiness, even. I knew that I was insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I knew that. I knew the world just kept spinning on its axis, not caring about a single thing, not stopping for anyone or anything. But as soon as I felt Lauren's arms around me, I didn't care about anything either. I didn't care about Val or the contacts or my inevitable demise. All I cared about was feeling Lauren again, memorizing every contour of her body and the freckles on her nose. I ran my hands through her hair, getting used to the new length. 

The world didn't care for me, and it didn't stop for me so that I could catch up. I realized in that moment that I didn't stop for it either, nor did I care because in that moment, I was holding the world.

It could've been minutes or it could've been hours, I wasn't sure. Sighing contently as I began to pull away, I suddenly remembered the melted golden object in my pocket and hurriedly tried to fetch it out. Lauren released her hold on me as I did so, and I frowned at the loss of contact. I held the compass in my hand out in front of us, scared to see her reaction.

"I'm not sure how much you remember, but you threw this in the fire last night when you became frustrated," I said as I slowly placed it into her palm. She stared at it momentarily, looking at the damage the fire had caused. She couldn't even open it anymore. After a second or two, she sighed.

"I remember everything," she said sadly as she looked at me. "I remember killing three innocent people. I remember punching that Tanner guy in the face and threatening to kill him if he came near you again. I remember doing anything and everything just to find you, even if that meant hurting people along the way." She gulped as she twirled the compass in her hand, the look in her eyes almost killing me.

"But I also remember the good things," she continued. "I remember kissing you, and I remember how awful I felt after letting you go afterwards. I remember saving you from being executed by Fox and the forest people. I remember saving you from the mountain lion, and I remember last night." I blushed at her last statement and shyly looked at the ground, but she tilted my chin up with her free hand so that I would look at her again. "This compass was given to me so that I wouldn't lose my way. It was supposed to keep me grounded so that I wouldn't be lead astray by Val and my mother's harsh ways...but I don't need it anymore." I furrowed my brow at her as she continued. "You're my home now, Camila. My way home is through you."

As much as I was floored, I was equally taken aback. I was going to say something, but I didn't want to ruin the moment. Instead, I smiled appreciatively and leaned my forehead against hers. Lauren knew that she and I would end up together long before I ever did, and for that, I loved her even more. Because before I chose her, she chose me.

"I missed you too, you know." 

Smiling as I recognized Dinah's voice coming from behind me, I had been so caught up in Lauren that I had almost forgotten she was there. I separated myself from Lauren and ran into Dinah's arms, her strong frame holding me with ease.