Chapter 5

Emiko hesitated before stepping out of the car. She was praying that Akito was in a good mood.

Shockingly she let out a small chuckle. She was praying to God that her God Akito is in a good mood.

She walked silently towards Akito's bedroom. Hatori was next to her since he had to do Akito's physical exam.

Upon entering his room she discovered a peaceful looking sleeping Akito. She walked up to him and gently stroked his hair. She knew he liked the comforting touch.

His eyes slowly opened and gazed into her grey ones. He smiled at her and the glanced at Hatori who was silently watching the scene.

"Hello Hatori." Akito's voice was tinged with sleep.

"Hello Akito. How are you feeling today?"

"Tired I suppose."

Hatori doesn't reply but instead steps closer and begins the check up.

Instead of watching the check up, Emiko sits at the window gazing at the two birds perched in a tree.

She was so entranced with the two birds that she didn't notice Hatori leave nor did she hear Akito walk up to her.

"Emiko."

"Hmmm"

"How are you feeling today?"

"Fine."

"How did you sleep?"

"I got a couple of hours."

"Progress. That's good."

"Mmhm."

Akito sat beside her. She didn't feel like talking and neither did he. They just sat and enjoyed each other's company.

It was nice. She enjoyed days like this. She always preferred the silence. Silence was safe. Loud noises meant trouble and most likely pain. She hated loud noises.

She stayed with Akito for a couple of hours before deciding to go back to Shigure's. She had to walk back but she was ok with that.

Walking up to the house she met up with Kyo and Tohru. They were coming home from school.

"Hello Tohru. Hello Kyo."

"Hi Emiko!"

"Where were you?" It was just like Kyo to skip the greeting.

"I was with Akito."

Nobody said anything although you could tell that Tohru was worried and Kyo was angry. He wanted to shout at her and try to shake some sense into her. He just couldn't understand why she kept going to Akito.

It was like she wanted to be hurt, but he knew that wasn't true.

They arrived home to see nobody. Yuki was most likely upstairs and Shigure was probably in his office.

Kyo immediately left to go to the roof. Tohru and Emiko were all alone.

It was awkward in the beginning. Neither girl wanted to start a conversation, but Tohru started one nonetheless.

"So how was your day?"

"Good. Yours?"

"Good."

The conversation was at a standstill and Tohru was having problems thinking of a way to get Emiko to talk, to open up.

"So ummm tell me about yourself."

"I grew up with Akito in the main house."

"What about your parents?"