Mayor Dewey No!

"We're home!"

The Crystal Gems had just returned from battling a corrupted gem who could control the Earth's vegetation. No one was harmed but were covered in various leave and twigs.

"Steven, you don't need to announce it. We all know we're back in the temple"

The bouncy young boy turned to look at the pale gem who spoke. "I know Pearl. It just makes it coming home specialier."

"You mean more special.", Pearl responded as she plucked leaves from her orange hair. She felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to see Garnet.

"I think Steven announcing our return makes it specialier", said the dark gem.

"Yeah, P. Lighten up, have a little humor for once."

Pearl swung around to face Amethyst, her face showing signs that she was about to blow, but stopped, feeling the hand move from her shoulder to grasp her own. Stepping off the warp pad, Garnet led Pearl to a kitchen stool and sat her down. "Stay. Relax." Pearl obeyed and relaxed, her feet resting on the rung of the stool. Amethyst and Steven also stepped off the warp pad. The purple gem ran and threw herself on the couch, sprawling so no one else could sit. Pearl opened her mouth to nag her messy teammate, but Garnet placed a single finger on her lips. "No. Relax." She scooped up the light gem in one sweep.

"Garnet, What are y-"

"Shhh." Garnet took her place on the stool with Pearl in her arms. "Relax."

"Fine." Pearl snuggled herself into Garnet's chest and closed her eyes.

"Oooo, Garnet got skills."

"Amethyst."

"Yeah, G.

"Go to sleep"

"Can do boss". Rolling over, Amethyst began to snore.

All the while, Steven had been gathering snacks from the kitchen and was already stuffing his face. "Im going to go to my room and play video games, you wanna come?"

Garnet smiled, "No thank you Steven. We are all tired so maybe later,ok?"

"Yeah, ok!". He smiled and bounded up the stairs to his room.

The tall gem looked down at Pearl. She wasn't sleeping, just relaxing like she had been told to do. Standing up, Garnet walked towards the temple entrance. "Where are we going?" Pearl look up at her with bright blue eyes.

"To my room"

"For?"

"I think you know."

"And what if I don't?" She smiled at Garnet mischievously.

Garnet played along, returning her smile. "So that both us can relax...in our own special way."

Before she could take another step, they heard rapid knocking on the door, which ,unfortunately, everyone heard. Steven ran down the stairs to open the door. The sprawling gem on the couch rolled over, "Ugh. Who could that be?" Garnet lowered Pearl to her feet and the two waited for Steven to announce their visitor. "PEARL! IT'S FOR YOU!"

Steven, you don't need to yell. Im right here."

"Oh, hehe. Sorry."

Pearl walked to the door. Before opening, she turned back to look at Garnet. The silent gem nodded her head, giving her all the encouragement she needed. Pearl opened the door to see an odd male human sweating in a suit.

"Uh, hello?"

The man blushed a deep shade of red. "Yes, hello Ms. Pearl. How are you this fine afternoon?"

This human was too loud for her liking, not that she willingly converse with any humans, but this human also looked oddly familiar. "Do I know you?" The human's face started to remind her of tomatoes. 'Ohhh, this can't be good. I've never seen one so red before.'

"Ms. Pearl, I-I...oh dear...my na-na..."

The pale gem felt a tug on her sash and look to see Steven motioning her to bend down. "That's Mayor Dewey."

"Ah yes, I remember." Straightening herself, she addressed the mayor. "You're Mayor Dewey, correct?"

"Uhh, yes. I'm Mayor Dewey."

"Yes. Well, what can help you with?" Pearl thought his face couldn't get any redder but it did. She stepped back at the drastic color change, smiling nervously.

Mayor Dewey cleared his throat and straightened his tie. "Ms. Pearl, I have...noticed you from some time now and I wanted to get to know you better. Well...anyways, I-I was wondering if you would like to have dinner with me at the new restaurant that just opened."

Pearl stood there staring, unsure of what to say. "Uhh...well...um, Mr. Dewey..."

"Please, call me Bill."

"Yes...um Bill. I am really fla-AHH!" Pearl glanced down to see two strong arms wrapped around her torso. Looking up, she saw Garnet towering over her, her face aimed at Mayor Dewey. "I am sorry. Wait, no I'm not, but I will be answering on the behalf of Pearl. No."

"Wha- I don't understand. Ms. Pearl?"

"Well, y-you see..." Pearl was cut off again. Garnet placed her hand on Pearl's cheek, forcing the gem to look at her. She bent down and kissed Pearl. Shocked, Pearl froze and did nothing to end the kiss. When Garnet pulled back, she turned to look at the human who had dared to charm her love.

"NO". Pearl turned into Garnet's chest, too embarrassed to look the human in the eye. Mayor Dewey was dumbfounded, his eyes darting between Pearl and the dark women who he knew was glaring at him through her reflectors. "I-I think I understand. I am very sorry to have bothered you. Please excuse me."

Garnet watched the human leave until she could no longer see him and closed the door. "Wow, G. Mad skills." The purple gem cackled, laughing at her own inner joke.

Garnet looked around the room. Amethyst was still on the couch, Steven was playing video games, and Pearl was gone.

"Where's Pearl?"

"Pearly whirly's in her room."

Garnet walked to the temple door and into Pearl's room.

"Pearl."

"Over here."

Garnet jumped and landed on a small rock platform, hidden away by the water towers. The pastel gem was sitting on a small blue bed. "Pearl, Im sorry. I lost my temper, but that human crossed boundaries."

"Don't apologize. It was quite funny, actually." She looked up and smiled at Garnet, who smiled back and chuckled. Pearl stood up and walked over to Garnet. "Sooo, what do you want to do now?"

"How 'bout we go play video games with Steven."

"Perfect."

The two walked out hand in hand and went to find their bubbly child. "Pearl."

"Yes?"

"You know i'm going to beat you, right?

"I accept your challenge." She reached up and kissed Garnet, but then turned around and was running to Steven's room.

"NOT FAIR". And the tall gem chased after her.