The Veredas Contract - Part Two

Photo of Tom (Ivan Noda) at the right ;)

I had strapped him to a chair, in my own suite. I knew I should have killed him, making him silent forever, but I wasn’t insensible. My training years hadn’t removed my faculty to have pity, even though I wasn't showing any with my targets.

He woke up way sooner that I’d thought. He frowned, probably asking himself how he’d fell asleep, and opened his eyes. They were bright blue, as clear as the sky. He looked at his tied wrists. 

“What the...”

“Why did you want to see Leopoldo?” I abruptly asked while rising up. He looked at me.

“I-I was his escort,” he stammered.

“For the evening?”

He didn’t answer my question. “I already saw you, didn’t I? In the elevator?” I had an excellent memory, I never forget a face, but his wasn’t telling me anything. He must had been the man I hadn’t acknowledged.

“It could be, but answer me.” He lowered his head, suddenly shy. I walked up to him and grasped his chin to force him to look at me. “What were you going to do with Leopoldo?”

It seemed he was feeling ashamed of himself, his eyes looking at everywhere but mine as I was observing him. “Well”, he finally answered. “When a client pays good money, we must sleep with him if he wants it. Leopoldo had ordered me to spend the night with him.” He said the last sentence while finally gazing at me, and what I saw in his eyes was convincing enough. Sighing, I released his chin and headed to go out the room.

“Where are you going?” He asked me, anxiety filling his voice.

“To order some food, I heard your stomach growl while you were unconscious.”

I didn’t kill him. Maybe it was because I saw some recruit’s potential in him; he seemed to have the profile for it at least. In any way, I called the Company to gain my reward.

Letting my prisoner eat alone in the bedroom - after untying him but putting back my detection alarm in case he would try to flee -, I went to the living room not to be disturbed. I removed one of my leather gloves and pressed two digits against my false left eye’s iris. Immediately, a strange but familiar shock went through my second nerve, and I closed my right eye to be able to concentrate on the new vision before me.

It wasn’t the dismal landscape I was seeing from the window, but the one from an ultramodern room. The woman seated to the desk noticed me.

“Are you done with your contract, Tom?”

“Yes, but there were some complications.”

“What are these?”

“A witness. I’ll send him to you.”

“Send him to Yuki instead, she’s the one in charge of recruiting.”

“Very well.”

I cut the communication, turned around, and came face to face with the blue-eyed man.

“To whom were you talking to?”

“To nobody.”

“Then, you must have a mental problem, I heard you talking alone.”

I sent him a dark glare, and he shut his mouth, swallowing. “You’re not in a situation to mock me.” I slowly walked up to him and he stepped back until his knees bumped against the couch, making him fall on it. I leaned down, only a few inches separating our face. “I could kill you if I wanted.”