Chapter 5

This week has been impossible. Camila won't answer any questions I have for her and it's already Thursday. The project is due Monday and we've made absolutely no progress.

I've even asked Mrs. H if I can change partners but she 'doesn't want to ruin the class dynamic'.

I curse myself for picking that card. Why couldn't I have picked number 3 so I could be with Normani. Even her partner Dinah would've been preferable.

I'll admit that I am a little jealous by how well the two of them are getting along. I feel like I'm easily replaceable even to my best friend.

I push the thoughts aside and focus on my issue that I'm having with my partner. "What do you want to do for the project?" I ask.

Silence.

"How about a volcano that erupts marshmallows?" I make an exploding sound but still silence.

"Can you answer the damn question and work with me here?"

The girl ignores my questions for the umpteenth time this week.

"Look, I don't like you and you don't like me but we need to get this work done. I am not failing this class just because some loser doesn't like me" I spit and the girl just looks at me.

"Seriously Camila can you just answer the question." I sigh.

I look over at Camila's paper as she writes into her notebook.

"What are you writing?" I question and she turns to face me.

"None of your fucking business. Why don't you just run off to your mommy and daddy and get them to buy you a science project? Don't worry I'll make sure to let the teacher know I have nothing to do with the project or you for that matter."

"Wow.. that's a little rude don't you think?" I clench my fists, not knowing rather I want to cry or punch someone.

"Maybe. But it's also true" she shrugs.

"Look, I need to do this project. Hold a grudge against me I don't care but I do not want to fail and I'm betting you don't either. Can we meet up after school today so I can do this?" I ask trying to ignore my anger.

"I can't today" she checks the time and closes the book.

"Why not?" I stare at the younger girl and my anger begins to vanish when I see how small and vulnerable she really looks.

"Do you have a hot date or something?" I tease the smaller girl. She seems unfazed by my joke and kinks her eyebrow up.

"That depends.. do we have a date?" she winks and I choke on my own saliva causing the smaller girl to laugh.

Unlike her normally cold hearted, this one seems genuine and leaves me wanting to hear it more.

"I'm glad me dying is entertaining for you" I chuckle myself and regain my composure as the tan girl smiles hugely.

"You're straight, haven't you been told not to swallow" she continues and my face heats up instantly.

"We are not talking about this" I laugh and hide the blush on my face.

"Look if you need pointers I can totally help you in that department" the smaller girl winks and I feel my heart skip a beat.

"Yeah? What exactly do you know about being straight?" I question as I kink my eyebrow up.

"I know it's not as amazing as being a lesbian" she counters with a smirk.

"How do you figure?" I ask genuinely interested. I've never thought about how lesbian relationships differ from straight relationships.