Chapter 10: In the Camp

10

In the Camp

Ravenmoon and Wildpaw were at it again,” Why did you become a warrior instead of me?  I trained the hardest and what do I get, absolutely nothing that’s what and now I don’t have any friends to sleep in the apprentices den with me,” Wildpaw whined.

Ravenmoon sniffed,” Maybe it’s because I am now 18 moons and I should have been a warrior 6 moon ago if it weren’t for my paw.  That reminds me though; doesn’t that mean you should be a warrior today?” She tried to calm the fire between them.  She had to act like a grown cat now since she was a warrior not an apprentice.

Wildpaw brightened,” Yeah that would be true, but I’d have to wait until Ravenstar got back since her kit, Creampaw, would become one to.  Dovepaw would’ve too if he didn’t become a medicine cat at the last second,” He mewed sadly,” Did you see that dragon in the sky earlier. It was beautiful,”

Ravenmoon suddenly felt uneasy,” You don’t think,” she half-finished as she dashed off the direction her mother had went.  She saw her mother’s paw steps throughout about half of the forest and then they mingled with the dragons.  She walked about a cat-length longer; for the dragon was not too big; saw no more signs of her mother’s paws. 

She bravely walked on as she believed that the dragon had gotten her mother.  She followed the foot-steps of the dragon swallowing back the rage and fear that was threatening to consume her.  The foot-steps stopped and looked like it had flown through the dense foliage on the top canopy; she followed the trail until she walked into the wolves’ territory.

She kept following and then noticed the smell of burning things like fur, dirt, trees, and other disturbing things.  She thought, Oh no! The dragons gotten into the camp and killing off everything in its path!

Ravenmoon stepped into camp to notice the weirdest thing she had ever seen.  The dragon was gathering up the remaining pups and transforming into her gentle, caring mother, Ravenstar.

Ravenstar glanced up at her daughter her eyes laced with fear.  She knew Ravenmoon had seen her form and said a quick goodbye to the surviving pups and pounded after Ravenmoon who had dashed off to the clan.  Ravenstar knew she was crying as she ran, for Ravenmoon’s body that was usually held steady for it was light in comparison now racked with sobs and she tripped more than once on the familiar territory of the cats.  “Wait!” Ravenstar cried out as Ravenmoon hit her head on a rock by the entrance to the camp and blacked out.