Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Why couldn't I will myself to help him? He said he would ask me to stop when I started going a different route from his. He seemed like a reasonable man. But what was it that I had caught in his eyes for that one second? It bothered me terribly, but I pushed the thought to the back of my mind for now.

I was on my way to Cody's game. He was the quarterback at Yoland University. He had black, almost brown hair, he was a light shade of tan and every muscle on his body was stronger than anyone else's on the team. Every girl who ever caught a glimpse of him wanted to be his girlfriend. Lucky me.

I parked my somewhat-old grey car, walked in by myself, and found a place to sit, waiting for the game to start. It wasn't unusual for me to be alone, so I wasn't indifferent to it. At the same time, I didn't exactly enjoy it, either. I spotted Evelyn, my new friend from my own college. She had dirty-blond long hair; it was such a dark blond, in certain lights sometimes, I would swear to her she looked brunette. It was straight until it fell into fat, bouncy curls along the middle of her back. She was slightly skinner than the "perfect" size, and was a color mixed between tan and white, more so tan, but not peach. Evelyn was the overly-energetic type. So, as a norm to me, she flailed her arms in excitement to say hello when she caught the glimpse of me looking at her. As Evelyn was quick to come over to me, nearly in front of me now, I said, not really asking because I was expecting the answer I knew I was to receive, "What're you doing here?" "Oh, nothing! I just couldn't leave you at a football game to bore yourself to death for this guy." "You know me so well," I said smirking sarcastically, knowing that she knew I told her what I was doing ahead of time purposely so that she could accompany me. She knew I cared nothing for the sport, I just wanted to watch Cody run around so I could tell him later that he was an awesome player. He was, actually, I just couldn't physically see how. Evelyn and I laughed for a brief second, reading each other's minds effortlessly, and then sat down almost in sync. We talked about our week, and the time-consuming, brain-numbing assignments we'd been given by our professors, and the one class we had together. Every once in a while we would actually watch the game and point out something to each other, half of the time making fun of it just so we could laugh. We were almost best friends, you could say. But I wouldn't, not yet. I'm not the type to get buddy-buddied up easily.

Eventually the game came to an end, and I stood up. It was almost a ritual that Evelyn was used to, so she simply gave me a tight squeeze of a hug and hurried off, smiling and waving behind her. I waved back with a small smile and went on to go meet with my fiancé.

"Hey there, cutie. What's got your panties in a knot?" He greeted me with his dark smile and pulled me closer to him.

"Nothing," I lied, trying to casually hide my concern about earlier, "you did great out there. Nice victory flip, too."

"You liked that?" He slid one of his hands down to my butt and grabbed. By then he realized I wasn't smiling, but staring downwards. I was caught up in my thought too long. I was thinking about telling him.

"Saille?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, haha." I hoped he wouldn't notice the insincerity in my smile.

"Saille.. You can fool Evelyn all you want, but you have to tell me. What's up with you?"

"Oh.. It was just this guy who asked for a small ride, I thought I saw something in his eyes."

"You didn't give him a ride, did you?" He sounded stern.

"No, but he left me feeling uneasy."

"Did you see a sparkle in his eyes?" He joked.

"Yeah, and he gave me a kiss, too," I kidded back, actually still nervous about it, but glad to stop talking about it.

"Haha. You ready to go?"

"I've been waiting on you, remember?" He grabbed my hand and lead the way out of the stadium. The stadium was truly massive. I never really liked the size of it, it made me feel like i was seeing more than my eyes could absorb. I'd told him before, so he naturally led the way so I didn't have to pay attention to my surroundings.

"So, where did you park?"

"Over there," I said as I pointed to the right side on the second row of cars.

--------

It was a smooth and quiet ride home. I made him drive because I wanted to enjoy riding and rest for a little while. I hadn't been the passenger in a car since before my father let me drive with my learner's permit. Oh, how I missed my father..

I was shaken wide awake to the car being jerked right and left. I wasn't alarmed because we hadn't crashed yet, so I only expected an answer.

"Sorry. There was an animal crossing the road."

I rubbed his arm to let him know I was just going to sleep for the rest of the way. I could sleep through a storm. It was only a handful of minutes more, but the sleep was worth every one. When I could feel the car driving noticeably slower, I knew we were pulling up. I woke myself from the slumber and sat up straight. I slowly turned to see that he had faced me with a gentle smile. As soon as I was fully facing his direction, he stole a small kiss. A warm and soft one, at that.

We got out of the car and walked up to the apartment. It was as small and faintly-red as ever. I unlocked the door since he was carrying his few items of football gear. I flicked the light switch on and moved out of the doorway so he could come in and put his stuff down.

It was kind of a void for a living room. Not much was in it--just a couple of chairs, coffee table, and the papers and books on the coffee table. I had wished that we could at least have a computer desk, even if we both had laptops and only one could be stationed there at a time.

He had dropped his gear on a bare part of the floor and went straight into the kitchen. I went to the bedroom to change into more comfortable clothes, even though I could sleep just fine in my jeans.

"Honey?"

"Yeah, baby?"

"You wanna. . ."

"Go to sleep? Yes."

"Aw, come on, why not?"

"Cody, we're both tired, admit it. And we both have to leave early tomorrow."

"What? You can't survive without an hour less of sleep?"

"Cody."

"Come on, you know you want to." By now he was holding me by the lower part of my back with one hand and the higher part, the other. He was also starting to grind me against him.

I couldn't resist; I gave in.