An Unexpected Arrival

Mercy was twelve when the man first appeared at the door. She was an observant girl, and she noticed how unusual the timing of the rain was. Just a few minutes ago, she had been gazing up at the stars, her mind running wild with all the possibilities out there in the world; or so it seemed, to someone so young. Her father welcomed the figure willingly into house to shelter from the rain, and the eerie chill of the night seemed to have been sucked into the cottage behind him. Mercy was sent to bed by her father, but not before she realised a great manner of things about the figure that stood in her doorway. The first and most noticeable of these was the the black bowler tipped over his eyes, obscuring his face, with nothing but a long, pointed nose visible from underneath. He was unnaturally tall for a human, he had stooped to fit through into Mercy's home. His legs were long and spindly, and he had a gait that could have only been deemed worthy of an elephant. The figure wore a dark suit that had no discernable colour, which seemed out of place on his shoulders, and came down to just above his knees; in a fashionable manner. The collar of this jacket was turned up against the wind and rain, covering his chin and mouth.

After making sure she had duly noted down everything she could in the seconds she had, Mercy chambered up the worn, carpeted stairs, and made her way into bed. However, as she lifted the covers, preparing to get in, she heard raised voices from the kitchen, where father had led the figure for a cup of tea, pulling the door to behind him. Mercy wasn't the type of twelve year old that would turn around and ignore such an incident. She was a curious girl with a mind for the little things, often looked over by many others. As silently as she could manage, Mercy crept back down and crouched at the bottom of the staircase, badly hidden by the lower banisters. Although badly hidden, from her perch she could hear every angrily whispered word that left either of the men's mouths.