Part 2- Chapter 2

The wind tousles my hair as we sit on our horses.

Loras had walked into Renly and I's tent around midday, telling us that Stannis was approaching the camp.

My new handmaiden helped me into a light grey-blue dress with silver beading at the top of it. I'm wearing my silver riding cloak to shield me from the wind.

My horse stands in between Renly and Catelyn.

Across from us is Stannis Baratheon, Renly's older brother, his Hand, Ser Davos Seaworth, and his red priestess.

I have met Stannis and the rest of his council before.

A year after I left Winterfell, my father had sent Margaery and I to Dragonstone. It was there that I met Selyse Florent, Stannis's wife, and Shireen, their daughter.

Dragonstone had been a cold fortress, but beautiful nonetheless. The carvings of the dragons fascinated my twin sister and me.

"Lady Stark, I had not thought to find you in the Stormlands," Stannis calls out to her.

"I had not thought to be here, Lord Stannis," she replies politely.

"Lady Rhea," he greets, looking at me, "I'm sorry for the wrong that Walder Frey has done to you."

I nod my head in acceptance though I question why Stannis cares that Frey denied me my right to wed who I love.

"Can that truly be you," Renly asks him.

"Who else might it be," Stannis responds coolly.

"When I saw your standard, I couldn't be sure," Renly explains, "whose banner is that?"

Stannis's banner is a flaming heart with a crowned stag in the middle of it.

"My own," Stannis answers.

Renly smiles, "I suppose if we used the same one, the battle would be terribly confusing. Why is your stag on fire?"

"The King has taken for his sigil the fiery heart of the Lord of Light," his red priestess, Melisandre, answers.

"Ah, you must be this fire priestess we hear so much about," Renly says, "brother, now I understand why you found religion in your old age."

"Watch yourself Renly," Stannis warns.

"No, no, I'm relieved," Renly says with a smile, "I never really believed you're a fanatic. Charmless, rigid, a bore, yes, but not a godly man."

"You should kneel before your brother," Melisandre states, "he's the Lord's chosen, born amidst salt and smoke."

"'Born amidst salt and smoke'," Renly asks, "is he a ham?"

Melisandre sighs and Stannis glares at him.

"That's twice I've warned you," Stannis says.

"Listen to yourselves," Catelyn pleads, "if you were sons of mine, I would knock your heads together and lock you in a bed chamber until you remembered that you were brothers."

"It is strange to find you beside my brother, Lady Stark," Stannis tells her, "your husband was a supporter of my claim. Lord Eddard's integrity cost him his head and you sit beside this pretender and chastise me."

"We share a common enemy," Catelyn says.

"The Iron Throne is mine by right," Stannis says sternly, "all those that deny that are my foes."

Renly smiles, "the whole realm denies it, from Dorne to the Wall. Old men deny it with their death rattle and unborn children deny it in their mother's wombs. No one wants you for their King. You never wanted any friends brother, but a man without friends is a man without power."