Chapter 5: No happy ending

Katniss' POV:
Peeta finally believed me, we are truly in love and happy, sort of. I haven't told gale because we never hunt anymore, he is always in the mines, probably avoiding me. But all that matters is that Peeta knows I love him, I moved into his house so we'd never have to be apart, we sleep in the same bed to comfort each other at night, Peeta has nightmares but never wakes me up, I must ask him to wake me when he has nightmares, he can't be alone and who knows what nightmares he may have, they could be far worse than mine, but now I have to talk to Gale. We leave for the victory tour in a couple of hours and won't be back for a few weeks. I walk to the woods and hear mockingjays singing, it's so peaceful. I listen to them until I hear Gale treading through the woods to our spot, this is the part where I have to tell him.
"Gale-"
"Katniss do you love me?"
"Gale you know I how I feel about you, you're my best friend"
"Well to me you are more Katniss, more than anything"
I hesitate, I have to tell him, sooner than later anyway.
"Gale, I love you, as a best friend, but I'm in love with someone else"
He'll guess right away.
"No, it's him isn't it? Elliot from school? I guess he's more your age but really, I've loved you for years Katniss, don't you understand?"
Really?
"Gale it's not Elliot, it's-it's Peeta"
His face goes from heart broken to angry, this can't be good.
"THE BAKERS SON? LOVER BOY?
In the arena you were acting, even you told me that!"
"It's different now, he crept up on me"
Then he does something unthinkable. He put his lips on mine, it took me a second until I realised  what he was doing, I slap him hard.
"HOW DARE YOU! I LOVE PEETA NOT YOU, NOW GO!"
I'm so angry, how dare he kiss me? He runs off, so he should. He looks back at me. His face becomes determined and heads off. I slowly follow him being suspicious, but stop to find a piece of bread and engraved into it, a mockingjay. I turn and see a peacekeeper pointing a gun at my head, "Katniss Everdeen? Is that you?"
The voice is shrill and weak, it can't be a real peacekeeper, but I don't answer. A girl appears from under the helmet and says "Sorry, you scared me".
I smile at her and ask her who she is.

An hour later:
It turns out that their names are Bonnie and Twill, are from district 8 and are on their way to district 13, I taught them a few hunting tricks for the trip and told them that I had to go, I went only to find that the fence was alive with electricity, I don't know when or if it will turn off so I jump over and sprain my ankle.  I walk into mine and Peeta's house and hear sounds of pain. I run into the back room and see Peeta being beaten by a man. The man turns, Gale, smiles and continues to punch Peeta. Peeta who is still conscious occasionally hits back at Gale, unable to get out of his grasp.
"So you love him Katniss?" Gales hisses
"Yes I do! Please get off him Gale! I manage starting to sob.
But he doesn't stop.
"Katniss I'll be fine just go" Peeta looks at me and nods to the door. But I won't leave him.
"No, you won't be fine Gale get off of him!"
He stops, thinks and stands up straight
"Okay, let's go for a walk Catnip"
I do, only to protect Peeta, but he's strapped to the table.
"Fine" I tell him.
Peeta struggles against his restraints but stays put.
"Don't do it Katniss"
"I have to Peeta I'm sorry"
I head for the door when Gale grabs my waist and pulls me towards him, in the way that I fear. I try to get out of his hold unsuccessfully.
"Let's go somewhere private" he says in a deep voice, he said that loud enough for Peeta to hear. As if on cue Peeta shouts "NO!"
Gale pushes me out of the the door and I scream "PEETA!"
"KATNISS!"
"Why don't we go have some fun, in the woods perhaps?" Gale cuts in.
"Never!" I slap his face on the same spot as the previous one.
"We gonna have so much fun, BYE PEETA!"
I know what he's going to do and there is no way I can prevent it.

--------------------------------------------
What is Gale going to do to Katniss???
Find out soon!