Epilogue

Epilogue

Three Years Later:

"I mean, of course it's exciting." I admit, "He's been gone for three years. It would be amazing to see him again. He's practically a racing celebrity now. He's made headlines all over the place. He's helped build homes in Third World countries. He's explored and ventured to places we can only dream of. He's literally done it all. The world knows his name. He's left his mark."

It hasn't been all too pleasant without him.

"I have to say, I actually miss the idiot." Xavier confesses, his hand in mine as we walk aimlessly down the streets together.

Xavier would miss JT. His hatred for him was nothing but staged. He liked the guy. Grey, on the other hand, is chipper and over the moon upon hearing that JT is about to make a return - a comeback into town.

"He's improved so much in racing (not that there was much room for improvement), I bet he'd easily beat you now. You wouldn't stand a chance, not even a challenge." I tease, wanting to see the outcome of Xav's reaction.

"I don't even race anymore." Xavier reminds me, "We both kind of drifted from that when we started dating. We gave it up."

We both outgrew it. Racing was a hobby for us, not an escape. JT's escape is racing, hence why he still does it. It's different circumstances for each individual. I don't think Jay is the type to ever stop racing.

"I only raced for the thrill. I raced to feel free, on edge and alive." I inform Xavier, "The speed was exhilarating, but being with you is even more exhilarating. I guess I don't need or rely on that feeling anymore because I have you instead."

"Same here." Xavier agrees with a real smile, "With you, the feeling lasts."

At the end of a race, the feeling of adrenaline and excitement dies. With Xavier, everything thrives. I don't need racing to fulfill the emptiness anymore. Xavier has taken up enough space inside my heart to fill the gap. I love racing, but I love Xavier more.

I glance up at him, beaming from ear to ear, before briefly pecking his lips.

I can't wait to see Jay. He'll be back in a few weeks time. I need to thank him for encouraging me to take a chance on Xavier. It was the best decision I ever made.

"You're cheesy." I state in a matter of fact way as I swing our hands back and forth with each step taken, "Before you asked me out, I wouldn't have pegged you to be a hopeless romantic at heart."

"You want me to show you just how unromantic I can be?" Xavier suddenly smirks as if an idea had just occurred to him.

"That depends, is this going to be dirty?" I question, hesitant to hear what he has to say.

Xavier is, hands down, the romantic in our relationship. I never expected it, but it's the case at hand. He's a gushy sap.

He suddenly stops walking, causing a disruption right in the middle of the streets. Before I can say or do anything, he takes my hand in his. He then proceeds by going down on one knee. 

Shocked, I freeze.

He glances up at me with hope in his dark eyes, his expression a veil - not revealing anything. "I love you, so marry me Emma." He proposes, not even bothering to ask me, but rather command me to do so. Typical Xavier Thorman style. He likes to go out with a bang.