A Tangled Web (Chapter 11)

Damien felt like he had it together this time—especially with Luke's generous assistance.

Damien had been watching the Jordans for a while now, and he knew their patterns. Right at this moment, Carl and Pat would be at work, Monique would be in class, and Kimberly would be home. On days like this, after everyone left in the morning, she got up, ate breakfast, and then took a bath. After that, she watched a TV show or two and then started reading or writing for one of her grad classes, breaking every now and then for a snack.

Monique would be the first to come home around five, and Carl and Pat would follow sometime after.

He had more than enough time; Luke and the men he hired had taken care of everything. All Damien had to do was show up and get Kimberly to go with him—the only part that wasn't planned.

Damien watched her on a monitor as he sat in his car a few blocks away from her home—a setup also courtesy of Luke, installed a few weeks earlier. Being able to actually see what was going on in the living room and kitchen made everything easier.

Damien noticed that today was a little strange—Kimberly had shifted her patterns a bit.

Usually, she would have gone upstairs to take a bath by now.

Damien dialed her phone number.

"Hey, Kim," he said cheerily when she picked up.

"Hi, Damien. What's up?"

"I wanted to talk to you about something—drive with me?"

"Oh, I actually have plans pretty soon."

"Aw, sis, come on—it won't take long, I promise. Quick question."

"Well then, ask me now."

Damien sighed. She sure wasn't making this easy.

"Kim, I need someone to talk to about this, and you said I could talk to you about anything—including my love life. We'll just go around the corner, and I'll buy you a quick brunch if you want or whatever. Twenty minutes, tops."

"Well, I have Kent coming here in about two and a half hours..."

"I need a woman's opinion, Kim. Please help me—I don't know who else to ask. You know I don't have any other real friends to talk to about this kind of stuff, although I used to."

He heard her sigh. He knew he had her.

"Okay, Damien. Just let me take a quick bath. How far are you by the way?"

Damien suppressed his laugh.

"Not that far," he replied. "I can be there in ten."

"Well, I better hurry, then. See you soon."

"See you soon," he replied, feeling satisfied as he watched her on the monitor.

* * *

"Okay, Damien, make it quick; I don't have much time to spare," Kimberly said as she got in the car.

"Neither do I, sis," he replied in a way that made her wonder if this had been a very bad decision.

He drove off.

After a couple of minutes, Kimberly noticed that he hadn't turned toward Candy Café.

"Hey, Damien—I thought we were stopping at the café?"

"Well, there's this other place I want to try. Do you mind?"

"As long as it's not far."

Kimberly tried to ignore the feeling of dread continuing to fill her stomach.